The other day, I was running a load of wash and as the washer was spinning, I heard water running...I immediately ran into the laundry room to see what had come undone, but as I skidded to a stop on the tile, I could already tell...completely dry there.
But I could still hear the water, so I steeled myself and headed for the basement. Jackpot...there was the puddle. But I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I settled down to wait until the washer began draining a second time.
As I was perched on the toolbench, I heard the washer switch cycles above my head and listened as the water poured down the pipe and into the stack. And then the fountain started. Water shooting six feet into the air and out into the center of the basement. I ran up the stairs to find my phone and call Dad.
After a long conversation with Dad about things like "head pressure" (I still feel a little dirty), I headed out to the hardware store. $22.00 lighter, I came back with my prizes and got to work. Here is a photo blog so you can fix your pipes, too.
This little cap was the problem. If you look at the top, you can actually see where it is bent. Finally, the sillicone caulk that the assholes that renovated my house had covered it with gave out, and the geyser erupted into my basement:

Step One, you have to get the cap off. Since its an old house, and the pipes are cast iron, there is always a chance that they may be rusted and you will need a BIG WRENCH to do this:

Then you have to clean the sealant out of the threads so that you can make a new seal. Make sure you brush in the direction of the threads, not cross-thread, especially if you use a wire brush. No, that's not Jeremy's toothbrush!

Eeeeewwww...this is where the poop goes!!!

Once the threads are clean, you need to make sure the new cap will make a seal.

Brush the joint compound over the freshly cleaned threads.

Then insert the new cap. Be careful, make sure it is completely straight, and that it is threading properly. Then tighten it with your brand new monkey wrench. But not too tight, it's plastic, and not as sturdy as the brass one that you just threw away.

And that, boys and girls, is how to keep it from raining in your basement.
I suggest you get your own monkey wrench and joint compound and fix something at your house, too!!
4 comments:
I adore the poop-face photo! I believe everyone should have their own Monkey, Wrench, and monkey wrench on hand at all times!
Yes, that is THE most spectacular Poop Face photo EVAH!
Your can-do attitude is truly inspirational!
This will be really helpful as I plan on becoming a poor homeowner shortly and my house will easily be 50-70 years old! I will have to start a Cheap and Picky file.
Post a Comment