Friday, March 6, 2009

Been a Little Busy

So I've been a little busy the last couple of weeks....


Which means that I didn't get back to sewing on this devilish black and white fabric until just a couple of days ago. One of the members at Pattern Review started a "technique sew-along," and that has helped me get back on track. For this sew-along, participants are focusing on better seam finishes (flat-fell, hong kong, binding, french seams). I have already finished a garment using the hong kong finish, so I decided to use something different for this one. Also, part of the fun of the hong kong finish is to use a colorful or unexpected fabric; and this charmeuse is much to thin, the finish would show through.

Right now, I have everything finished but the collar and the button placket, so I have finished with all the specialty seams. The remainder of the seams are hidden within two layers of fabric on the collar stand and the placket.


On the interior, I used both french seams and seam binding. Here you can see the french seams on the vertical seams, and the binding on the under bust seam:


I also used binding on the armscyes and because I was so enamored of my binding foot, I also bound the hem and sleeve laps using black bias binding.


Yeah, I know, why? Because I love this binder foot! It makes everything so simple!


In other news, my niece continues to be enamored of sewing and we have finished a few more projects. Last weekend we did a little shirt for summer using pre-smocked material from Hancock's and ribbon for shoulder ties, as well as a polka-dotted corduroy skirt with an elastic waist. She also got her next project cut out, what else, a polka-dotted shirt. That kid is ga-ga for dots.


1 comment:

Sew Shy said...

Congratulations on your wedding! You look gorgeous!