Monday, April 27, 2009

Not Much Sewing....But Much Planning

I haven't been doing much sewing lately, but have been doing some planning, and helping my niece to work on her projects. On Sunday she sewed herself a pair of shorts with a scrap of embroidered denim that I had left from a pair of pants I made for my grandmother using Simplicity 3796. Interestingly, we used the same size for Sadie's shorts that I used for grandma's pants. I can't decide if it is a travesty that my grandmother has been so sick that she now wears the same size as an 11-year-old child, or if it is a bit alarming that my niece wears the same size as an adult woman.

In the meantime, I have been periodically working on some projects for myself. I had a length of ITY printed with a big floral, and I made a version of Butterick 4789, but was a bit disappointed. It turned out looking like a maternity dress! There is a huge "pouf" under the boobs right over the belly! I set it aside, because I'll probably chop it off and turn it into a shirt. With what was left, I made a shirt from New Look 6735, which turned out really well. The top is made with a center back seam, and at the bust line the front piece is significantly longer than the back, so it adds room for a full bust, yet without using a dart.

I also made a shirt with New Look 6807, and it turned out recockulously large. I cut the 18 I normally use, and the neck was giant! I could have stepped through it through the neckline! I didn't even bother hemming the sleeves and waistline. Thank goodness it was made from a remnant I picked up for $2.00 at the fabric store. From another $2.00 remnant of gray t-shirt knit, I made Simplicity 4076, with the gathered neckline and cap sleeves. That one turned out well, but none of what I have been working on lately are "review-worthy." Everything has been super simple, and I have nothing to add that hasn't already been pointed out.

I have also been doing some planning of projects for summer, and making sure that what I am making has some kind of correlation with what is available in ready-to-wear....because the fastest way to turn into Becky Home-ecky is to make something that has no relation to current styles.

First up:


I found this dress on JCrew for more money than I am willing to spend for a dress ($268.00, some colors on sale for $198.00). But I really like the style, the color....pretty much everything except the fact that it is made out of silk taffeta, and I really have nowhere to wear a dress made of taffeta.

But then I remembered....

I have this fabric:


It is a stretch sateen in a great magenta color.

And I have this pattern:


If you notice, this pattern is even a little better for someone with a bit of a belly, because the front is actually flat, and the gathers are moved out to the sides.

Another garment that I wanted for summer is a short-sleeved jacket:


I love the style and shape of this one, but it's a Nanette Lepore, and sells for the bargain price of $425.00 at Nordstrom.

Fortunately for me, Butterick also put out this pattern recently:


The jacket has shoulder princess seams, and a number of sleeve options. I am making it without ruffles, but can't decide whether to make the tiny cap sleeves or the puff sleeves. I did find, however, that the fabric estimates for 45 inch fabric was waaaaay off. You actually need about 3/4 a yard more than what they say.

Because I am obsessed with pink of late, I am making it from a hot pink cotton brocade, with tone-on-tone pansies. I think it will look nice with a cami and can be worn with any neutral pants for work.

I am also still on the quest for the perfect pant, and hope to finish another attempt this week. I NEED to test the alterations I made...but I just have no motivation to make pants. I would rather make fun summer dresses!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry 4789 didn't work for you, I feel bad that I led you astray... I'm also in love with that Butterick jacket pattern, I like the plaid view, but (like you) would much rather make summery dresses!

Michelle said...

Hahaha...don't feel bad! It probably has a lot to do with my chub. I think it will be a great shirt, though!