Saturday, September 11, 2010

Does Sewing Save You Money?

From time to time, a thread will pop up on PR regarding whether or not sewing saves money. I have to admit, that I am always surprised at the answers. Some say that the cost of the machines means that they save nothing (being viscerally averse to spending more than $100.00 on a machine, the idea of a multi-thousand dollar sewing machine is completely foreign to me. If a machine costs as much as a good used car, it needs to do the sewing for me while I watch tv and eat chocolates). Others say they don't even care if sewing saves anything, they do it so they can have exactly the clothing they want, and with a precise fit.

Given that the title of this blog includes the word "Cheap," this is a question that warrants an answer. On one hand, I don't spend nearly as much on machines as some folks do (even my serger was less than $200.00). On the other hand, I don't want to waste money by making things from cheap fabric (although I should clarify, cheap fabric is not necessarily inexpensive...nor is expensive fabric always high-quality. I've gotten beautiful silk for as little as $1.95 a yard, and paid upwards of $15.00 a yard for suiting that shredded the first time it was worn).

If someone were to ask me if sewing saves me money, my answer would be both yes and no.

Please allow me to explain how sewing saves me absolutely no money whatsoever....

I will use as an example the trench coat that I made recently.


Here is the breakdown of the costs for the coat:

4 yards twill for shell: $20.00 (on sale for $5.00 per yard)
3 yards charmeuse for lining: $15.00 (on sale, 30% off)
14 buttons (from stash): $5.00
Interfacing (from stash): $10.00
Shoulder pads: $2.90
Sleeve heads: $1.10
Thread (3 spools): $7.50
Denim needles: $4.39
Pattern: $1.99

Total: $67.88

Keep in mind, that that is just for the materials, no value for labor is added. Overall, I would estimate that the coat took me a total of 7 hours of work, spread out over the course of three weeks. Now, if I pay myself at the rate of $10.57 per hour (which is what the poverty level in the United States breaks down to if you divide it into an hourly rate, poverty level being $22,000.00 per year per family), that means that the cost of the actual construction is $74.00.

That means that the total amount for the coat is $141.88.

Now, compare this to:


This is a twill, fully-lined trench coat from Target. The price is $49.95. No, it is not the grey color that I wanted, and the fit may be slightly off (as RTW usually is), but it is one third the cost of the coat that I made (with labor, at a poverty-level rate).

Now let's consider labor at a rate that I would find acceptable: $20.00 per hour. This is still significantly less than I make at my "real" job, but payment at a rate reasonable for a "side job," and a rate that I would find acceptable should someone wish to commission a coat made by me. That means that the cost of labor becomes $140.00, so the total cost of the coat would be $207.88, more akin to the cost of this Banana Republic version, which retails for $198.00:


The Banana Republic trench is the same color that I wanted, also has similar details such as pocket flaps, sleeve bands, and epaulettes. However, if I pay myself a fair rate for my labor, my version still cost $10.00 more than the Banana Republic version, and if I pay nothing at all for labor, just my materials cost more than the Target version. So, the conclusion must be that sewing saves me absolutely no money.

Now, let me tell you how sewing does save me money....

I am a complete fashion whore. Love it. Love designer clothes. Love luxe fabrics. Love expensive shoes. I adore every thing about fashion. When I can afford it (and can fit into it), I do buy "the expensive stuff."

If I had the money (and it were available in anything larger than a size 12), this is the coat I would have:


This coat is by Burberry, and available through NetaPorter.com. It sells for $995.00, but is very similar to the coat that I made. It is described as a "shower-proof gabardine" and the shell is 65% polyester/35% cotton. I also made the decision to use a poly/cotton blend for durability and stain resistance.

Many of the details are also similar:

"Black shower-proof gabardine trench coat with double-breasted button fastenings at front. Burberry trench coat has a small collar, long sleeves with buckle-fastening tabs at cuffs, buckle-fastening belt at waist, button-fastening epaulets, storm and wind flaps, slanted pockets at front, a vent at back and is fully lined in signature check. 65% polyester, 35% cotton; lining: 50% cotton, 50% polyester; sleeve lining: 100% viscose."

Given that this is my preference, I can save money by sewing a coat for $67.88 (or $141.88, or $207.88) as opposed to purchasing one for $995.00. Sewing also allows for advantages over even the most expensive of coats, namely I can custom-fit what I am sewing as opposed to paying for expensive alterations after purchase, or doing the alterations myself.

On the other hand, why do I care whether or not sewing saves me money? Why do I have to justify spending money on my hobby? My father collects toy trains. Does he have to justify the money he spends on that? My aunt makes her own silver jewelry. She has a huge set-up in her basement, complete with torches and lapidary tools. Does she have to justify the expense? NO! Neither of them do! So why should any of us have to justify the expense of our hobby by saying "Oh, but sewing saves me money." Or should we just say "Screw the money, it's my hobby. I'm not spending the grocery money, so who cares?"

So what do you say? Does sewing save you money? Do you care? Or does even asking the question imply that somehow we have to justify our hobby?

24 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I've been sewing for so long and it is such a big part of my life, I never ask the question!

Unknown said...

What about the benefits you reap that have no "price tag"? The surge of self confidence when people ask where you bought it, or tell you how lovely it is. The education in the process of construction, knowing that the next time you do it, it will be better, faster, cleaner, etc. The fit that can't be found off the rack when you are shorter/taller/curvier. The skills you pass on to a new generation of sewing enthusiasiast, whether it is a niece, a daughter, a friend, a follower of your blog. And lastly, the friendships you gain along the way, from the friends in the sewing class, the owner of the fabric store you frequent, the people that you connect with that share your passion and love for all things fabric.
I don't sew to save money, I sew because it gives me a sense of gratification that I can't find anywhere else. Does it save me money? Probably not. But it sure does make me happy!!! (Sorry so long!)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I think Kristine said it so well but can I add that as a fashionista, I can make things for myself that I would never be able to afford or even find in my size. That the thrill of taking a picture and turning it into a well-fitted, wearable and fashionable garment is priceless.

Sewing has no relation to money unless we can now put a pricetag on happiness, contentment, joy and creativity!

Linda T said...

Love your analysis of this subject. When I was growing up, I always felt sewing saved me $$. I could copy what I saw in RTW (as far a school clothes) for less that I could purchase it MOST of the time. I was long waisted so I could fit it to myself which was a plus. Cost of the sewing machine never entered my mind since I was sewing on Mom's.

Now, I sew because I enjoy it (and because the darts can be altered to point toward my bust when RTW does not point accurately) whether it saves me $$ or not. I do get nice fabic at great prices at our Dallas "garment district area" which is a real plus--that generally DOES save me $$, BUT I buy so much (for the stash) that I probably DON'T save $$ as much of it has yet to be made up.

Bottom line, I really don't think about whether I save $$. Plus, I've never considered the cost of the machines (yes, plural) as a per garment cost usage. The machines are my TOYS.

Kim said...

Whenever I see things about how sewing saves money, I have to laugh. I've just switched what I spend my money on. Now instead of buying clothes, I buy fabric and patterns which is probably a wash in terms on money out. Also, I seem to have it justified in my head that because I don't "buy" clothes anymore I can spend more money on shoes and accessories. Ok, sure Kim, yeah it's ok to buy those shoes ;-) I too love fashion and I love having clothes that no one else does which is why I love sewing. Nope, I don't save a penny probably. However, like you if I was going to buy that Burberry trench or that Stella McCartney dress, then yes, I'm saving up the kazoo!

Janice said...

I just got back into garment sewing and it may or may not save me money. But I get the colors I want, in the style I want, when I want. By the way, I am sewing an a Sears Kenmore from the early 60s that is a hand me down from my mother. I am finding it a great creative outlet and I am really getting into reading others blogs and seeing their creations. It is about the satisfaction of the finishing the project that makes me want to sew!

Big in Japan said...

I think people who DON'T sew often have the idea that we are saving big bucks by crafting our own garments and so the question enters the conversation because everyone needs clothes and has an awareness of clothing costs. This is not the case with model trains. Sewing is a hobby with (hopefully) useful, wearable fruits.

In my case, sometimes sewing saves me money, sometimes not. It's not the reason that I sew though. I like making things. I also have fiber issues, size issues and I live in a country where there is almost NOTHING available that fits. Shipping costs to Japan, very expensive. My labor cost, I'm very slow, so very expensive, ha!

Faye Lewis said...

I try not to think about the cost too much, although I do really try to keep it within reason. I look at it this way, everyone has something that they spend money on, for me it sewing and sewing related things. It is so important that I have something to do with my hands, and something constructive to do with my mind. This is the something that I do for myself that really matters to me. With sewing I am "ever learning" and ever excited about it.

Kris said...

I have sewed since I was 9, and I had mostly done alterations and mending, up until a couple of years ago (I am 44, so that's a lot of mending and alterations!) I have a 5'4 hubby, so every single pair of pants has to be hemmed. I think being able to sew has been a major cost saver over the years, even with buying specialized machines. I found a blind hemmer on EBay for $130, and it paid for itself within the first year, between him and other people who actually pay me!
I also agree with Kristine. I am now branching out and starting to make more clothing for myself and my family, and I feel I stretch every time I learn a new skill, or improve an old one. I am teaching a friend with a small child (and also a short hubby) to sew, and will teach my daughter when she is interested. (Right now it's all about the clothes Mom can make- she has already decided what kind of prom dress she wants, and her best friend wants me to make hers, too.)I love to sew, and my sewing room is my sanctuary, so it probably saves me in therapist bills as well!

Mary Nanna said...

First of all, it's lovely to see the trench on you, it looks great! I can sew way way way way cheaper than I can buy and that even beats lowest of low that I could get from a chainstore that outsources to sweat shops in China. That's on cost alone, with nothing for labour, because I do it for love.

The reason I can do it so cheaply is that I have a nose for a bargain. No make that a nose and 2 eyes as well. Like a truffle pig I can sniff them out. I sew top quality fabrics at bargain prices.

That's part of the joy for me.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I don't save money sewing. But, I never thought about saving money when I learned to sew, so it wasn't part of the equation. I just love garment construction, the feel of fabric in my hands, and what the heck...it gives my introverted self something interesting to do when I'm not working and the kids are in school. :) I also love finding interesting fabrics and turning them into unique garments.

Kathryn said...

I sell some of the things I make so cost is very much an issue for me. And obviously I make my shop garments for less than I sell them for! But even though my aim is just to have a self-financing hobby, I couldn't say that I save money by sewing. On cost per garment - yes, definitely, when comparing like with like. But the room of fabric and notions will attest that I will need to sell a LOT of clothes to break even! In the meantime, my chilren have beautiful wardrobes, and I have a perfect getaway from some fairly stressful times outside of the sewing room.

waikikimum said...

Your comments are so valid. When this discussion came up on PR I said the same thing to my husband. He makes models that sit there, at least my hobby is used in another way - to cover my body lol !!!! My kids play sport and do dancing and we think nothing of their hobby but feel we have to justify ours to people that ask. I have had many people ask the same question of me over the years.

Anonymous said...

It definitely saves me money, LOTS of money, but my stash usually fits in a small hand-luggage bag and I have a stock of about 20 commercial patterns which I alter to get variations and I buy and sew from Burda magazine which I buy for less than 5 dollars a month. I can't remember the last time I bought anything to wear apart from underwear and shoes (and I am planning to start making my own underwear soon).

However, I did start sewing to get clothes to fit and that I like, and to make curtains. My machine "paid for itself" by the time I finished the curtains.

And I also sew for enjoyment. I don't watch TV because I find it boring, stupefying, manipulative and destructive to contentment and self-esteem (the polar opposite of a creative activity like sewing or any other craft or hobby)so I have lots of time and energy.

I think the infamous "stash" is the enemy of economy, and whenever mine burgeons a bit (at the beginning of seasons when I buy up to nine pieces of fabric at a time) I carry an anxious, queasy, "Am I extravagant?" feeling in the pit of my stomach until I am back down to two pieces or so of fabric!

Hats

Eugenia said...

Great post!! I sat and thought about it for quite a while. My immediate answer is that I don't actually know whether my sewing saves me money. I have never done a cost analysis - I found yours extremely interesting and well thought through because, as you point out, if you are trying to calculate what you might be saving it is important to know exactly what you are comparing your home sewn garment with.
As a generalisation I would say that it would be possible to buy quite a lot of my garments for less money than I spent making them (assuming I shopped at the very cheap end of the market) but the quality of the fabric wouldn't be as good and they definitely wouldn't fit me as well (in fact a lot of RTW doesn't fit me at all). But, like other commenters, what really matters to me is that I love to sew!

Sheila said...

Great post and the trench looks lovely on you.

When I started sewing yeasrs ago that was my intent, but back then I only sewed home dec projects and believed I was saving. When one has 32 windows and 21 needs window treatment the saving was definitely there. As for my garments yes and no but more yes. Now that I have been sewing for a little over 3 years its not an issue, I basically purchase what's within my budget and Kristine said it best. The joys of sewing has allowed me to meet so many wonderful people and that beats a savings any day.

KID, MD said...

Your trench looks fabulous on you, and even that $995 Burberry wouldn't have fit as well. Go you!

Whenever someone asks me this, I just say, "It's cheaper than therapy!" Sewing is my outlet, and keeps me sane. The only time this issue really bothers me is when someone asks me to sew something for them, assuming that they will save big if I do. Of course, I learned long ago not to sew for others in this situation, but the attitude still bothers me.

Mariela Alethia said...

I grew up in an era where you bought fabric, you took the fabric to the dressmaker to have your clothes sewn. Imagine you have five daughters and you have to pay the dressmaker money to sew clothes. That's way I learned to sew for several reasons; 1- to help my mom save money 2- I love fashion and 3- I could have a lot more clothes because my mom did not have to pay the dressmaker.
I sew because I love to, and I don't care about the cost. I don't need to justify the cost, who caresssss!

Angela said...

I'm not sure that it necessarily saves me money, but like many others I sew because it's fun and I just love doing it. I agree with Kristine, too. There's so many other things that don't have a "price tag" on it. I recently put welt pockets with a flap onto a jacket... when I started off doing it I was like "alsdfjalkdj;" but at some point it clicked and came together pretty well and I was sooo excited!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Sewing absolutely saves me money. I have been sewing since jr. high, so the number of prom, party, special occassion dresses I have made has saved me thousands. Then I worked in the corporate world and had handmade suits, evening wear, whatever I wanted in color, style, etc. I would buy the gorgeous shoes and make an outfit to coordinate. Plus I have had the same sewing machine all that time - so a big savings there. Even with the investment in classes, books, mistakes (!) I am way ahead. Not to mention the enjoyment, my favorite leisure time activity.

Skitzo Leezra Studio said...

Just mending, altering and making over clothing has saved me a ton of money this year. Weight loss usually means new wardrobe but I'm simply taking in the seams.
Saving money? Well, it depends on if you shop at Old Navy or Neiman Marcus. Or if you purchase fabric at WalMart or fancy shmancy shop.
But the most important point is Michele's challenge: why ask in the first place if other hobbies aren't profitable or at least self-sustaining?

Cristina said...

I begun sewing to be able to decide what I wanted to wear to weddings or parties without having to run around like a headless chicken trying to fit my ideas into what was available... so to me it is about choice, not money. Plus if you consider that when you make something you are investing in yourself, your skills and your confidence (lets face it, how nice is it when someone says "I love your dress" and you say " Thanx I made it myself")...it is priceless

Christiana said...

Sewing does save money, if you want it to. It also offers alot of other benefits, be it theraputic, creative or simply a a way to express yourself. Sewing is a skill that is to be cherished for so much more than simply economics.

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Clarissa said...

I tell people no, it does NOT save me any money, and that's true if you break it down garment-by-garment.

However, women spend TONS AND TONS of money looking for just the right fit, and they spend a lot of money on stuff that mostly goes unworn because something about it wasn't right.

(most women of my acquaintance don't even know that the fit isn't right, they just know they didn't like that shirt as much as they thought they would.)

So I think I dress a bit better than I would if I just bought RTW.

Garment-by-garment, the cost is higher, but overall, I spend less per year than I would shopping the clearance racks at Kohls or Target, thinking that I was being "frugal."

And I don't wear T-shirts with sweats, ever. ;)

Even when I do make something that isn't quiiiiite right, I know how to do it next time so it will be right.