Saturday, March 3, 2012

Making Tentative Plans

Since I have slowly been getting back into sewing, I have been tentatively making plans for upcoming garments.  By this time last year, I would have had 40 different fabrics laid out, making plans for spring and summer sewing!  But this year, since I am just getting back into the swing of things, my plans are much more tentative.

I also just. can't. pass. up. a fabric sale, and I succumbed to the recent cotton sale at Fashion Fabrics Club and got two pieces of lawn (plus additional for underlining) for summer dresses.  Although this one makes me think of the Portlandia skit "Put a Bird on It," it looks very "Anthropologie" to me and I think it will make a great shirt dress:


Thanks to the super-sale prices, I also got some ivory eyelet, and ivory lawn for underlining:


I am leaning towards using McCalls 4769, a pattern that I have made before:


I've made the shorter version in the past and the shape and fit is very nice.  It's also a classic, so with the right styling you can get a retro vibe without resorting to vintage patterns with the challenges of having to completely change the proportions, working with only a single size in an envelope, etc.

I won't get a chance to do much this weekend because I am leaving for a conference for work on Sunday, and will be in Arkansas through Wednesday.

In other news, our very first exhibition bout will be March 11th for our roller derby league.  I have been working hard to pass my minimum skills tests so that I can play.  The big stumbling block for me right now is speed.  You have to be able to do 25 laps in 5 minutes, and so far my best time has been 5:21.


I'll keep you posted on the progress with the dresses...and the 25 in 5.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

7 comments:

Jane M said...

I simply love those fabric choices and I'm simply in awe of your roller derby experiences. I'm sure you'll cut those extra seconds off soon.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'll be cheering you on for your 25 in 5! I know you can do it!!!

Unknown said...

Stitching up cotton eyelet dresses by day, roller derby queen by night! You are an inspiration!!! Good luck with the 25 in 5, I'm rooting for ya!

meli88a said...

Hilarious. I love Portlandia, and your Put a Bird on it fabric will be sure to make you smile whenever you wear you soon-to-be made dress.

Rachel said...

Good luck with your skills test. You'll get there eventually i'm sure, but i've got my fingers crossed for you that it's in time for the exhibition match.

Lisa said...

I love your fabric and that pattern is gorgeous.Good luck in the Derby.

KC said...

You certainly are versatile! What's your Roller Derby name?