Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Summer Dress

Last week I finished a summer dress using a border print lawn that, pretty much like everything I have been sewing lately, has been moldering in my stash for a loooong time:


I wanted to use it for a casual dress, since I had seen a number of gathered waist or drawstring dresses in RTW recently.  Here is one from ModCloth:


One from J. Jill:


One from Old Navy:


So, I decided to use a pattern from stash and try and create a similar dress.  I used Butterick 5612, which was very similar to the Old Navy version, right down to the sleeves:


Except...I couldn't use the pattern for the sleeves because when I laid out the pattern on the cross-grain to use the border print....I didn't have enough fabric to make the cuffed sleeves!  So, I cut the sleeves shorter and just put some elastic in the hem.

Here are some additional photos of the finished dress:


For the most part, I had no issues with the instructions but I COULD NOT figure out the instructions for the placket.  So, I just constructed it the same way that I did for the Hot Patterns Superfantastic Shirt, which added a little pleat below the placket:


Because of a shortage of fabric, I cut the drawstring from the border.  You can also see in this photo the little pleat added due to the construction of the placket...or can you?  Really, it completely disappears in the print of the fabric:


Here is an image from the hem...I just lined the edge of the pattern up with selvedge and put a 1/2 inch hem in:


Overall, I really liked the pattern and other than my inability to figure out how to install the placket, the only issues that I had were related to using a border print and running short on fabric (changing the sleeves to gathered hems).

I also finished a couple of other projects this week.  I made another shirt from the same BurdaStyle pattern used for the two western shirts.  This time I left off the yoke, and actually followed the instructions for the hidden buttons...except I can't help myself where adding stuff is concerned and sewed a strip of eyelet down the placket:



I also made an apron for a friend of mine who is a pastry chef.  No pattern, just just laid an apron that I had onto the fabric and cut around it.:


She has sent me some embroidered patches that she found on Etsy, so I sewed them onto the pockets:


The apron will be winging it's way to California on Monday.  This week I will probably finish...nothing.  It is finals week, so I will have a ton of grading to do....so, I'll catch you when I can!  Have a great week!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great dress, I love the border print! Good luck with all the grading, I'm busy getting my Stats kids ready for the AP exam, then goodbye seniors before Memorial Day!

Audrey said...

It is such a pretty dress, and a great style for a border print.

gwensews said...

Super dress! A good job using that border print. I love the lace placket on the blouse. Your friend will love her apron-very nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the borderprint dress. I have missed you. I had to replace my computer and lost all the Favorites saved on the old one. I have been knitting a lot and not sewing but want to get my sewing mojo going again. I remember the pants fitting and admired your determination and cheered when you finally got the great fit. The Gaberdine look good.

angie.a said...

I have that pattern in my "to-do" stack! It looks so pretty and summery. How was the sizing??