But, over the Christmas holiday something happened that made a huge difference...I finally got new furniture in my sewing room. I'll do a separate blog post on that, but thank goodness my brother-in-law lives about a mile from Ikea. Visits to him have resulted in all new furniture, organization, and less of a feeling of "ohmygod, what a horrible mess" every time I walk into the room.
With a freshly organized workspace, with lots of working surfaces, I seem to have found my creativity again. I also have been doing more with independent patterns. For years, all I sewed was "Big 4," but since more and more independent companies are out there, and Burda is available for download, even though I let my subscription lapse...I've been trying other new things.
The first thing I made in the new sewing room was a Burda from 11/2010, a wrap blouse:
Nothing really to say about this one...how many times can one say that Burda has good fit, interesting styles, and crappy instructions? Ditto for this. I made it with a georgette that I had in my stash...that waist tie takes a ton of fabric, so you need nearly 3 yards of 60-inch wide fabric.
A much more interesting endeavor was the purchase of my first Lekala pattern. Lekala is a very interesting pattern company from Russia...the styles are alternatively fashion-forward and a bit risqué (lots of bare midriffs). I decided to give it a try and the best advice that I can give is to read Melissa's post at "Fehr Trade," on how to purchase Lekala patterns. The process is a bit confusing because the english on the site is not fantastic...and there are a lot of steps to purchase:
- you have to purchase a code for downloading patterns from an external site
- you have to return to Lekala to activate the code
- after you activate you can order patterns
I can say that it is well worth it mainly because even after the conversion from euros to dollars, the downloads cost in the neighborhood of $1.00, AND you purchase them according to your own measurements, so the patterns need little, if any, alteration. Sure, you have to tape the pattern together but...a dollar. It cost a dollar.
I started with Lekala 4100, a knit shirt with an interesting collar:
After jumping through the hoops to purchase and activate the code, I received an email with the pattern pdf...and a little something extra. You get what the computer has decided you look like based on the measurements you entered. And all I have to say is "holycraponacracker, tell me I don't look like that!"
Aaaanyway...the pattern was pretty simple to assemble...21 sheets. Not ridiculous like some Burdas I feel like I have spent days taping together.
Much like Burda, the instructions are not going to be helpful if you don't already have a pretty solid understanding of clothing construction. Google translate is only minimally helpful: link to instructions.
As for the construction, the front collar gave me a bit of trouble and I ended up scrapping and recutting it once on the first shirt...and changing it on the second. Here is the collar:
It looks like it has an overlap, but the way the pieces are constructed, they butt up against one another:
In the second version that I made, I ditched the piece on the right, and just cut 4 pieces of the one on the left, and created the overlap that it appears to have in the line drawing:
The shirt also has sleeves gathered into a small cuff:
The first version I made from a bamboo knit. I had never sewn with bamboo before, and it has a great hand, but is it ever infuriating to work with! The final product was better than I possibly could have predicted:
The only issue that I encountered was that it was a bit smaller across the hips than I would have liked, but I'm not even willing to say that it is a fit issue, as it may just be more personal preference in regards to amount of ease. In fact, I liked it so much I made another version today. I had a yard and a half of a wonderfully soft rayon knit that I purchased in Texas many years ago and could never find anything I really wanted to use it for.
The only problem was, I didn't have enough. So I had to convert it to short sleeves so that I could use the fabric that I wanted. I used a sleeve from a tshirt that I had made before and just drew the contours of the sleeve right onto the sleeve pattern piece, so the sleeve cap would remain unaltered:
And in a snap I had a short sleeve, and a 3/4 sleeve traced off. Here is the second version, with short sleeves:
I made one other change in the construction, I moved the gathers for the neckline further down towards the point:
The reason for this was in the original, the placement of the gathers made a couple of small wrinkles that extended from the neckline to the armpit. Maybe I'm just being overly critical, but I disliked the same thing about my Hot Patterns Weekender Sunshine Top, I suspect that the combination of those gathers and a full bust means that those wrinkles will just happen if not placed PRECISELY right.
And since it's the dead of winter and too cold to wear short sleeves, I made a cardigan from Simplicity 2603, that I think everyone and their mother has made at some point:
It seems more difficult than it looks because I don't actually hem them...I just cut it really carefully so the edges are PERFECT. The first one I made I hemmed, and it did NOT drape the way I wanted it to, and I believe the thickness of the hem was to blame. I noticed that RTW versions were made without hems, so I gave that a shot and...much better.
All in all, a productive weekend...and I will DEFINITELY be making more Lekala patterns. I am thrilled with how this first one turned out.
PS...all of these were made with fabrics and supplies from the stash. It sure didn't make much of a dent in it, but I'm trying to NOT buy new fabric for a while!














9 comments:
Welcome back, Michelle. I've missed your posts and happy to see that you're back to sewing. Thanks for sharing your Lekala purchase. I've been on the fence about buying from them.
One more thing: holycraponacracker is now officially a part of my vocabulary. =)
Welcome back. I've missed you.
Glad to see you back! And congrats on the new sewing room. I'm in the process of trying to reorganize and declutter mine a bit. Sometimes it just gets overwhelming in there!
Your new tops are wonderful. I have yet to try that pattern line, but plan to at some point. Appreciate your reviews.
First I want to say it's good to see you sewing again! I have missed you! Second love all the pieces and finally we are going to get to see pics of the refreshed sewing room, right? Seriously, we are aren't we?
That looks really nice, you did a great job figuring out the pattern.
You were truly missed, its good to see you blogging and sewing again!
Oh it's really nice to see you back and glad that it was nothing more than lack of inspiration and disorganised space. I'm organising mine right at this moment too. I love the tops you made and when I can I will try Lekala patterns too.
Thanks for this post on the Lekala pattern. I think your versions look wonderful. I think the short-sleeved version with the cardi looks really nice.
Welcome back~! Those are some great tops! I love the lines on the Lekala top... thanks for the great review!
Love the top and cardigan -it is an outstanding set. I understand about the too many machines. I passed that point a while back. I know you will like the new sewing room with every thing organized. I wish ikeas were everywhere -none here either.
Post a Comment