Monday, December 28, 2009

McCall's 5764: Cape and Belt


Or, yet another installment in "How to Make a Relatively Simple Project Incredibly Involved and Difficult."


Over the Christmas holiday, I took a short hiatus from the cape that I had started using McCall's 5764. I started with a brown, beige, rust, and black plaid from Hancock's that also had a touch of gold thread in it:


Because I wanted this to be warm for winter, I decided to do two things that the pattern did not call for....I both lined and interlined the cape. This meant that what was originally a very simple pattern suddenly became very involved and labor intensive. I started by hand-basting the flannel interlining to the suiting so that it would not shift during construction:


From there, I constructed the cape (for the most part) according to the instructions. Here is the finished product:


And from the back:


I was able to match the plaid across the front and the back, but not on the shoulder seams. I, unfortunately, did not think to buy extra fabric to match the plaid, so only had enough to match the fronts and backs. The fronts matched fairly well, even across the buttons:


The interior was a bit of a chore, I added binding to the edge of the facing and the hem so that I would not have to fold it over and hem that way. The hem is also the LONGEST HEM I have ever sewed, and all by hand. I also treated the holes for the belt like giant button-holes. The belt has to go in the holes on the back, go around the waist, under the arms, and then back out the holes in the front. The instructions have you stitch around the holes for the belt and then cut the center out. That didn't seem like a good solution considering how much the fabric raveled and also the number of layers that I was working with:


I think my method of satin-stitching around the hole looks nicer and will also help prevent the holes from getting ravelly. Had I really been thinking ahead, I would have done them as bound buttonholes. That would have looked nice, and also fit in with the theme...making a simple pattern as complex and labor-intensive as possible.

Overall, I am very happy with the way the cape turned out, although thanks to my delaying working on it, it is now frigidly cold, and much too cold to wear a simple cape rather than a full coat!

13 comments:

KID, MD said...

Cute! It looks beautifully constructed. Nice work!

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful, and you should be proud of the professional finishing details! As for the frigid temps, the freeze will eventually thaw and you'll be ready with your amazing cape!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It may be too cold but it looks real good! I am sure you will enjoy wearing this when the weather gets a little warmer.

Linda T said...

Very nice....and very well constructed. I don't know that I would have had the patience for all the layers. I'll bet you are really going to enjoy this as the temps permit.

HeathersSphere said...

Wow, this is such an enchantingly chic cape! Very nice work! Enjoy wearing it!

gwensews said...

Your cape turned out beautifully. Nice sewing! I actually have that cape, almost finished, in a box. Why? Because it turned cold and I couldn't wear it. Maybe for spring!

Heather said...

This is really lovely!

Eugenia said...

Great job! Your cape has turned out beautifully. The fabric, lining and buttons that you have chosen all complement each other perfectly. You've got me wanting a cape now, your is very stylish!

julia said...

Love it! Happy 2010!

Susan said...

I agree with everyone, wonderful construction and a beautiful job overall!

amber said...

You did a really lovely job with that cape! It looks fabulous. :)

Meg said...

Love that cape on you! I wanted to make a short plaid cape this year but never got around to it. Happy New Year and looking forward to hearing more from you in 2010!

Patty said...

This cape turned out so cute! Now I want one :-) I think it is a garment that will be very versatile in your wardrobe and one that you will wear a lot. And thanks for the chuckle re the 'theme' of this project! Happy New Year!