Friday, December 25, 2009

A Tiny Detour

I took a small detour in finishing my cape and sewed Simplicity 2603, a pattern for both a Misses knit top and cardi wrap with front variations. The pattern includes a wrap with a long front drape, a wrap with a short front drape, choice of three-quarter or cuffed sleeves. The top is sleeveless with a neck band and gathering at the centre front.


Now, I had every intention of finishing my cape...the reason that I was at the fabric store to begin with was to get another card of buttons, since I had managed to lose half of the original buttons that I purchased for the cape. But of course while I was there I HAD to check the discount tables! I had been looking for a very lightweight knit for MONTHS to make this pattern with, and had been unsuccessful. Everything was t-shirt weight, which was too heavy, I really needed a tissue knit. But I found this heathered grey mystery knit for 1.95 a yard on the bargain table and decided to give it a shot.

Overall I like the pattern, although it is a pain to cut out, since it has to be done flat and the pieces are HUGE. I found while I was cutting out the fabric that my mystery knit was one of those that liked to curl at the edges, so I decided to take advantage of that and just let the edges curl rather than hemming it. Since I don't have a coverstitch machine, the hems wouldn't have been very pretty, and with all the flipping and twisting and tying, there was no way that they wouldn't show. So, I just cut veerry carefully, and the edges curled up like a charm.

I made a large, which is for a 40-42 inch bustline, with no alterations since, well, I had no idea how I would make any alterations to those crazy-shaped fronts. The shawl collar drape is helped along by a strip of elastic sewn to the seam at the back of the neck, but otherwise the construction is very straight-forward, especially when you completely forgo hems. The shoulders are a touch wide, but that is fairly typical for Simplicity patterns for me. However, I am not overly worried about it because that just gives it a bit of extra room should I decide to wear it over something heavier than a t-shirt or cami.

Here is the finished product:


And here are some of the drape variations:




I strongly suspect that this will get worn quite often as a cover-up in the office, where the temperature is highly unpredictable. Plus, the grey is a great neutral color that, let's face it, matches most of my wardrobe.

Happy Holidays, everyone, and I hope you have a great New Year.

11 comments:

KID, MD said...

Cute and fun - and what a great Christmas gift to yourself!

okie2thfairy said...

It looks great and btw, you are looking great as well. I too have been trying to find the tissue-weight knit for this but haven't found it yet.

Lisa said...

Love it! I have some fushia knit I want to make this up in. Hope it isn't too heavy.

gwensews said...

Cute cardi! It would look very chick worn over a suit.

Mariela Alethia said...

It looks great!

Anonymous said...

I know a lot about detours! I love the cardi. I could see wearing this cover up a lot!

Melody said...

very cool

Sue said...

Great version of the cardi-wrap. I think that Simplicity pattern is the way to go on that one.

SewRuthie said...

I really love this pattern too. Yours came out great with lovely drape.

Eugenia said...

What a lovely version of this really great style. I love the colour - it will go with everything and always look elegant.

amber said...

I have a ton of RTW versions of this (picked up before I started sewing) and I wear them all the time. Your version looks like a great wardrobe basic. Very nice.