Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blue Jeans: Version Two

Today I finished up a second version of the Jalie stretch jeans from the previous post. If you recall, that version was overly tight through the thigh:


You can see the horizontal pulls across the back of the leg because the leg is too narrow through the thigh. I found the jeans to be otherwise flattering, however, so I wanted to make these work.

To improve the fit, I needed to do two things:
  1. Widen the back leg and
  2. Raise the rear waist band to cover the bottom
To widen the back leg, I made an alteration to the back pattern piece in the same way that I would do a large bicep alteration (see this link for a diagram). Once that alteration was made, I then made a wedge alteration to the back of the pant (see page 37 of the same text linked above). One issue that I did have to consider is that if I added a wedge that was too large, it would make the yoke seam horizontal rather than the "vee" shape that it is supposed to make. To keep that vee-shape in the back, I added a small wedge to the back pant pattern piece and a second small wedge to the yoke itself.

Here is the new version:


You can see how close to horizontal that yoke seam is due to the addition of the wedge to the back pattern piece. I may work on redrafting where the yoke and back meet to make that more vee-shaped.

And from the front:


And the side:


You can see in the side view that the side seam does tilt to the back a bit just under the waistline. This should be fairly simple to fix. The major issues, the too-tight legs and the panties peeking out of the waist line, have been fixed in this version.

This version reveals that there are a few small issues that I could fix if I wanted to. Among them:
  1. Making the yoke seam more vee-shaped as opposed to horizontal
  2. Transferring some of the width of the front pattern piece to the back to keep that seam from swooping backwards on the hip
  3. Possibly replacing the straight waistband with a contoured waistband, although that would do away with the super-simple sewing of the flat waistband.
Overall, I am very happy with the simple alterations that I was able to make to the jean, which resulted in a very comfortable and flattering pant.

While the pattern is drafted to be very close-fitting and slim, I think that with these small alterations they can work well for plus-sizes as well.

12 comments:

Angela said...

Very nice job!! I'm still too scared to even attempt jeans.

SewRuthie said...

Look really good. I made some jeans from a trouser pattern and they are OK. I don't know enough about alterations to make them better. Really great job!

Mary said...

Wow! I am in awe. It's not just that you can make pants, but you can make pants FIT! And they look GREAT on you! You are awesome!

Eugenia said...

Fabulous job with your jeans!!! I was only just saying how I always admire people who make their own jeans. Yours are superb - the fit is fantastic and I really love that style.

Rebecca said...

These look perfect! Great job!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Does it surprise me that you were able to make the pattern work for you?? Hell no!

Mary Nanna said...

your alterations are impressive - I'm so glad you made this pattern work for you. For me, I realised I just don't like to wear stretch on the bottom half - that's just a personal preference. So good on you for finding something that you love and will enjoy wearing.

Sue said...

Great jeans - you fitting skills are to be envied!

Anonymous said...

Those (second) pair of jeans look fantastic on you, very flattering! This looks like a TNT. Great job, I'm envious.

BeccaA said...

Fabulous jeans! The second pair is so flattering--you've got your TNT.

Nancy K said...

The jeans look great. You could add the wedge below the yoke so that the yoke size and shape doesn't change.
They are really impressive.

KID, MD said...

Blogger ate my previous comment, but these still look great!! Really nice work.