I really liked the gathered paper-bag waist and thought they would look nice in linen for summer. Except, I am not very observant and the linen that I bought for them was not 60 inches wide. When I went back to the fabric store today, I could find brown with gold pinstripe, beige with white pinstripe, but no gray with a white pinstripe was left.
So, I decided to make a drawstring skirt with a paper bag waist. I didn't use a pattern, I just cut a giant rectangle, serged the edges, and started sewing. To make the paper bag waist, I folded the top edge under 1/2 inch to hide the raw edges, then folded a second time making a 2 inch casing. I then added two button holes for the drawstring, and then sewed the casing with one seam at two inches from the top edge and another one inch from the top edge. Here is how the waist turned out:

For the drawstring, I just cut a strip of fabric from selvedge to selvedge, serged one edge and then turned it by threading the serger chain back through it. I didn't hem it because it has the selvedge ends on it and looks fine, if a touch rustic.
I also added a kick pleat to the back, and machine hemmed using white thread:

I had wanted the pants (now skirt) to match another shirt that I made from the Hot Patterns Weekender Sunshine tops, and again loaded with Anthropologie-like doo-dads:

I decided to use multiple colors of fabric for the roses, since it looked nice in the Anthropologie version:

Here is a closeup:

Since I did not add the band to the bottom of this one, I started by cutting it to the line indicated on the pattern (see photo above) but then decided that that was overly long, and cut 3 inches off...essentially shortening it to the length of the first shirt, before the band was added:

I am seriously thinking about adding a big cargo pocket to the side of the skirt...but don't know if this would just be too much. I will wear it once and think about it. I still have enough fabric to make a bellows pocket.
In other news, my desire for drawstring pants is unabated. So, I picked up some beige linen with a white stripe, to go with a white shirt:

And also a super-preppy seersucker embroidered with anchors and ship's wheels to go with a navy blue shirt:

Hopefully they will go together super-fast and be super-comfy for summer.
In other news, this blog now has 100 followers. How awesome is that??? That there are 100 people that find my ramblings useful simply floors me. Thank you to each and every person that follow, that read and comment, you all make me feel fantastic!
22 comments:
I just love your version of the skirt, and the top looks wonderful.
Cute top and skirt, they look nice together. I love the roses nice touch.
Love the top and skirt. They look great together, but I bet both will also be great wardrobe additions. You've got some really fun stuff coming down the pipe!
This is such an awesome outfit! I absolutely love it!!
I love the kick-pleat you added to the skirt, really nice touch IMO
I love the skirt and the top. I say go for it with the cargo pocket on the skirt.
Cute! And I didn't know the name for the paper-bag style before, thanks.
Love the skirt! and the top is lovely as well. g
Love the skirt and the top. I think the cargo pocket would be a nice touch.
No wait! It's 102 followers.. very cute skirt and top combination - a great second choice.
I've made the mistake of not looking at the fabric width before, and it can be sooooo disappointing not to have the amount you need. I love the outfit though! You have now inspired me to make some drawstring pants to wear this summer.
The skirt looks great. I like the idea of the pocket on it.
Love that skirt and all the details you put in. Great look!
Cute top! I love the embellished tops that are so popular now but wonder about the washability of them. Let us know how yours survives after washing-plese?
Ok, that is a seriously cute outfit! I'm totally copying you!! :D
I'm not an official follower, but I do read your blog regularly and really enjoy it. This outfit looks nice -- very creative.
I have maybe a dumb question: did you make the buttonholes for the drawstring after you folded over the casing? If so, how did you do that?
I really like the top and the skirt together...but then again I'm a sucker for pinstripe pieces!
What a fabulous skirt you have designed there! I love the drawstring waist - so comfortable for summer. The combination of this casual style and the sharp looking pinstripe is brilliant. The top is so cute - I love your roses!
You did a great job with the skirt and cute top.
That is a great skirt! Now I think I need a paperbag waist skirt. :)
I just discovered your blog (linked from pattern review) and think it is fab! I'm working my way through your pants fitting journey. Love this top and skirt too, they're great!
Beautiful skirt! I so envy you ladies who can just "wing it" and still come up with something awesome. The last time I tried to self-draft a skirt pattern I ended up frustrated and turned it in to a pillowcase for my cat... and even that looked weird. :P
Post a Comment