Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fashion Forward? Or Fashion Victim?

Every month, I look at BurdaStyle, and every month I pass over more than half the styles as "too edgy for me." I adore Burda, and love that they are fashion forward, but more than half the issues go unused because I tend to be much more conservative in my style. But, I often feel that I need to break out of that "Everything is Grey" kind of style that I have been cultivating. To that end, I have decided to sacrifice one of the 45 pieces of gray wool suiting that I have in my stash and make Burda 08-2010-137:


Yes, not only is that a pleated pant (bane of my existence), there is a huge flap that folds over the front crotch. This is the closest I will ever come to harem pants:


And of course, in the Burda fashion photo, you can't see the details of the garment, so here is the photo from the website:


Every time I come back to this issue, I always stop and look at this pattern. And every time I think "I should make those" and then I think "Never in a thousand years." And then I think "Oh, give it a try" and then I think "You are going to end up in a magazine with a black bar over your eyes."

But, why not? What is the reason for not doing it? Because they will make me look fat? Hey, news flash...I'm fat. There are no magic pants that make me not fat. Not my style? Really, do I even have a style? Everything in my closet is either white, black, or grey. I'm not sure you can classify "waiter at catered event" as an actual "style."

Plus, it's not like I don't have plenty of fabric that can be sacrificed in a potential fashion disaster (and let's face it, in the 5 years since I have revived my sewing, this would not be the first fashion disaster I have cooked up). So....I am going to sew it. Right now my biggest concern is whether or not that front flap will be uncomfortable, since much like Gilda Radner, the majority of my fashion decisions are based on what doesn't itch.

Second, I have grave concerns that that huge pleat will just become a polter-wang when I sit. And let's face it, with all my other fashion handicaps, the last thing that I need is to look like I have a peen.

Although talk about polterwang:


At least I am not paying $830.00 for some Alexander McQueen pants to make me look like I have an impressive package. And, I am not making the pants from sequins like this $795.00 Phillip Lim version:


And the pleat is not hugely exaggerated like this Vivienne Westwood version ($340.00):


I am making mine in a very sedate grey wool suiting, that I had left in the stash because it was very thin...but, since the pleat on the front is extra bulk, the thin wool will be better for this pattern. Hopefully it won't show any hail damage on the back side.

So, what say you? Fashion victim? Or stepping out of my rut (not all they way, they are still grey)?

I will keep you posted on the progress.....

19 comments:

Skitzo Leezra Studio said...

Guess I'll be the Negative Nancy and say those pants will not end well. It's not just the pleat shown on skinny models that is problematic but the legs suffer as well. One has a smooth drape; the other, not so much. Skip the pants and INSTEAD use the pleat drape idea for a pretty soft draped blouse.

Karin said...

Go for it! I agree with you, why not give it a try? They might just surprise you and the rest of us. If they don't look nice it won't be the end of the world. Sometimes even conservative choices don't turn out well.

Rebecca said...

Since you have tons of fabric, I'd say go for it. I think you should change the waistband to a contoured waistband if it already isn't drafted that way. It may fit you better. And maybe Frankenpattern the back with a TNT pant that you love. So the front would be the Burda drape pieces and the back a TNT.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the final result!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I say "go for it" too! My reasons are mostly self. I too have always like that pattern when I see it. Since I body types are nearly the same, if they look good on you, I'll be more inclined to make them!

Mary Nanna said...

Burda is very fashion forward. Very. For most home sewers too much so. In NZ Burda is very cheap - the whole magazine is several dollars cheaper than a single pattern - so that means to get value for money I only need make one pattern - and there is always one that I can translate to my style and lifestyle - so when people moan about Burda being too out there - I'm not with them.

Please give it a try - it sounds like you have nothing to lose and at the very least an interesting experience to gain!

Kim said...

I agree...go for it! I think sometimes you need to step out of the box and try new things. I think keeping the fabric more drapey will reduce the tent issue when you sit. I can't wait to see them.

L said...

Whether you decide to make them or not, thank you for sharing. I laughed me arse off with this post!

Gail said...

I always find something to sew from my Burda magazines and agree with Maryanna about the pricing issue for us 'No cheap patterns southern hemisphere' sewers. I love the pants in the first picture and think that provided you use the right fabric would look fantastic on a fuller figure. Don't listen to Skitzo!

Big in Japan said...

You rule!

Agreed that in all likelihood these pants will not become your favorites. I'm not that keen on them on any body type, honestly. BUT I'm all for trying something new and if they've grabbed your eye and imagination, then proceed, and of course entertain us with the results.

Linda T said...

What have you got to lose except time and a bit of fabric. If you keep gravitating back to them in the magazine-do it! If it turns out well, who knows what you might choose next??? Loved the other pics of the really BAAAAD high $$ ones and I LOVED Gilda R! she had some great quotes that I so relate to!!!

Irene said...

If you never give something a try - you'll always wonder. Think of it as an experiment. Perhaps these pants will turn out to be super comfortable!

Unknown said...

Go for it, what do you have to lose? Nothing! And as a side note: I just realized that my Burda is still sitting in the plastic wrap on the kitchen table. For a week. That's how much I'm not excited about Burda these days.

Audrey said...

Those pants caught my eye too. And a similar pattern was in a recent issue of Knip Mode. I would give them a try. Asymmetric designs can make you look slimmer because the diagonal lines break up square shapes. That drape has sort of diagonal shape.

Julia said...

I say, "Go for it!" What's the worst that could happen? As you said, you may not like them after they are done. Well, there's lots of things I've made that I haven't liked when I'm done.

KC said...

You are so funny! Make the pants--I can't wait to see what you have to say about them when they're done.

Toocutedobs said...

ROFLMAO!!!!! I'm with Negative Nancy on this. Those pants look like "Oh my gosh what will do I do with all this extra fabric? I know let's pleat it over and sew it into the waistband. I'll call it high fashion and somebody will fall for it." Please tell me that you did not fall from your "Cheap & Picky" grace. You're just pulling our leg right? "GRIN"

Bruna Cristina said...

I love to sew, but I know little and want to learn more
love your blog !!!!!
I'm following
kisses from Brazil

http://munamo.blogspot.com/

Bruna Cristina said...

I love to sew, but I know little and want to learn more
love your blog !!!!!
I'm following
kisses from Brazil

http://munamo.blogspot.com/

Sue said...

Go for it - I like the basic grey mixed with a funky touch in the pattern.