Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wrapping Up Winter Sewing

Of late, the weather has been completely insane...one day ice and sleet...the next it is 70 degrees...and then last Sunday, we had tornados. Now I get to spend some quality time with the chainsaw this weekend. That is, if it isn't pouring down rain! Needless to say, the warming weather has marked an end to my winter sewing. The final garment that I completed was a purple charmeuse top, finished on Sunday:


Same pattern as the other two pussy bow blouses I made recently, though I thought it might be fun to use snaps rather than buttons. Plus, I have about 200 of these snaps since I bought them to make western shirts for my husband's band...and then the project never materialized:


Now that I have started thinking about spring, rearranging fabric, and changing patterns in the "to-do" box, I thought it would be a good opportunity to summarize this past winter's sewing...and my first experience in making a plan (and actually sticking to it).

Last October, I decided to do my first ever "SWAP" (sewing with a plan). Normally I sew willy-nilly, picking fabrics and patterns at whim, and while I have made some very nice pieces...some of those same pieces match absolutely nothing in the rest of my wardrobe.

So, I decided to create a SWAP, using pieces that were already in my stash.

My original plan was to make 16 pieces:
  1. Dark heather gray wool jersey, $10.20 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  2. Wool blend flannel, $4.89 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  3. Periwinkle charmeuse, $4.04 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  4. Grey/black print charmeuse, $4.04 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  5. Black and grey herringbone suiting, $6.37 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  6. White jersey knit, $4.46 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  7. Purple jersey knit with diamond pattern, $4.21 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  8. Purple/ivory cotton shirting, $3.61 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  9. Heather gray knit, $4.21 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  10. Silk Tweed suiting, $7.98 per yard, from Fabric.com
  11. Plum jersey knit, $3.98 per yard, from Fabric.com
  12. Black jersey knit, $3.98 per yard, from Fabric.com
  13. Black boiled wool knit, $11.98 per yard, from Fabric.com
  14. Orchid stretch shirting, $1.95 per yard, from Hancock's Fabric
  15. Plum and orchid striped jersey, $3.95 per yard, from Hancock's Fabric
  16. Gray cashmere wool suiting, $32.50 per yard, from B Black and Sons
Of the original plan, I never got to 5 of the original fabrics:
  1. Dark heather gray wool jersey, $10.20 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  2. Black and grey herringbone suiting, $6.37 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  3. Heather gray knit, $4.21 per yard, from Fashion Fabrics Club
  4. Silk Tweed suiting, $7.98 per yard, from Fabric.com
  5. Gray cashmere wool suiting, $32.50 per yard, from B Black and Sons
But, rather than the original plan for 16 garments, I ended up making a total of 27 pieces. So, how did I completely pass over 5 fabrics of 16...and wind up 27 pieces?

One reason was that I decided to participate in the Endless Combinations contest. So, smack in the middle of my SWAP, I got derailed. BUT, I was disciplined, and I made sure that my Endless Combinations fabrics coordinated with as much of my SWAP as possible.

In the end, I had a significant set of coordinated garments, consisting of the following:
  1. Wool blend flannel-Burda pants
  2. Periwinkle charmeuse-Burda Pussy Bow top
  3. Grey/black print charmeuse-Burda Pussy Bow top
  4. Black/white print Burda Pussy Bow top
  5. White jersey knit-3 Graces Tee
  6. Purple jersey knit with diamond pattern-Butterick 5525
  7. Purple/ivory cotton shirting eliminated, replace with black and grey knit for McCall's 5978 twinset cardigan and New Look 6735 tee from leftovers
  8. Plum jersey knit-3 Graces Tee, also New Look 6735 Tee from leftovers
  9. Black boiled wool knit-Cardigan/Jacket
  10. Orchid stretch shirting-Butterick 5526
  11. Plum and orchid striped jersey-Burda 9-2010 Turtleneck
  12. Black rayon challis with purple/orange trim-Hot Patterns Deco Vibe Delicious Dress
  13. Purple fleece-Hot Patterns Riviera Boulevard Cardigan Jacket
  14. Black wool jersey-Burda 9-2010 turtleneck, Burda 12-2009-120 hoodie
  15. Light blue rayon knit-Burda hoodie
  16. Blue, gray and black striped wool sweater knit-Tunic sweater and scarf
  17. Blue slub rayon knit jersey-Burda 9-2010 turtleneck
  18. Graphite denim-Jalie jean, altered for skinny leg
  19. Blue and grey boucle-McCall's 6041 Chanel-style jacket
  20. Grey corduroy-Burda 7447 pants
  21. Grey, brown, black, and beige printed rayon-Hot Patterns Mighty Aphrodite Draped Tee
  22. Stretch khaki twill-Butterick 5249 pencil skirt
  23. Light heathered grey knit-Burda 9-2010 turtleneck
  24. Heavyweight black twill-Butterick 4610 blazer
All the photos of the garments have been posted on this blog in other contexts, but I'll do my best to summarize...here is the final photo collage for the Endless Combinations contest:


And here are images for all the various pieces made for the Winter SWAP:



Finally, here is a set of garments that were "spur of the moment," that were neither a part of the original SWAP, nor a part of the Endless Combinations plan, but still coordinated fairly well with the original two plans:


Although I am sad that I never got to the final 5 fabrics, I do acknowledge that the tossing in of the Endless Combinations contest entry did make for a difficult time finishing the original plan, and now that the seasons are changing I have no pressing need for a wool jersey dress or cashmere pants. The silk tweed skirt may still make it into a spring wardrobe...as may the gray rayon jersey in the form of a top.

But, in the meantime, I have my first fabric for spring sewing on the cutting table, and I plan on making a short trench in a black and white floral print....with a red charmeuse lining:


I don't know if I will do another SWAP for spring or summer, but I did appreciate the experience of having done it because it has made me more deliberate in how I choose fabric...I always make sure it will coordinate, and I have started purchasing fewer whacky prints, and more classics and foundational basics. Even if I never make another SWAP...ever...I benefitted because the act of planning, and the discipline involved in sticking to that plan meant that I had to be more thoughtful and deliberate in choosing patterns and fabric.

I am looking forward to seeing what is next in my sewing progress...perhaps a "New Technique" SWAP may be in order...rather than focusing on coordinates, focus on refining new techniques (welt pockets, shudder) instead.

We shall see...

13 comments:

Ann Brodsky said...

I am so impressed with your dedication to following through with your SWAP plans! Your wardrobe turned out to be just fantastic!

KID, MD said...

You did some amazing winter sewing!! You are totally inspirational. Maybe if you do some welt pockets I can follow on the tail of your greatness and get over my fear as well. That is one skill that has been percolating in the back of my mind for some time.

Big in Japan said...

Wow, that's a lotta coordination, even without completing all of your plan. I think I'm just going to go back to making everything in black, then it'll all work together, right?

Sue said...

Great job - what a fantastic wardrobe you have made!

Patty said...

Very impressive!

Linda T said...

You accomplished so much! (even without finishing all the garments planned) Evertyhing looks so "put together." Congratulate yourself!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I am very impressed with your dedication and sewing skill. Let's say you lit a fire under my %$# to get me motivated to sew again. Thanks for the kick in the pants.
Angela

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I think you did a wonderful job of setting a basis for your wardrobe with your SWAP. Now you will consciously add pieces to it by the fabrics you choose...thereby making your wardrobe work for you in every occasion. And that's the true purpose of SWAP! You did an amazing job and thank you for sharing your process with us.

Audrey said...

Wow, I am so impressed by the number of garments you sewed this winter. Picking out an outfit each morning must have been so fun and satisfying, with the wonderful variety of beautiful, well fitted, coordinating garments you had to choose from.

Gail said...

Cant wait to see your plans for summer. You had a great wardrobe here and should be proud of yourself.

Andrea said...

You got a lot done. Awesome job on both collections

HeathersSphere said...

Your wardrobe is truly sensational! I admire your commitment and your gorgeous sense of style!

Marie-Christine said...

That is a really impressive accomplishment. As you say so well, it's one thing to make a plan, and quite another to stick to it :-).
Your 5 fabrics left out are not wasted - next Fall you can start right in with them, secure in the knowledge that they'll fit right in with the clothes you already have.
As to a summer SWAP, without going into extreme planning I think if you don't do a bit of it you'll find yourself disappointed at not being able to wear your new stuff as much.
It does sound as if this experience will have changed your habits on a deep level.. which was the point I think :-).