Saturday, April 30, 2011

Another Version of McCall's 5556


This weekend I finished a second version of the McCall's tunic. To review the necessary alterations:
  1. Cut 16, even though my measurements are larger.
  2. Lowered the bust darts by two inches
  3. Shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length
In this version I used a contrast for the collar and hem bands:


The main fabric was an eyelet with black embroidery that I got off the sale table at Jackman's fabric. Jackman's is an independent fabric store here in town that is mainly a quilting and upholstery fabric store. They have a really small apparel fabric section that is mainly focused on bridal and special occasion, but every now and then you can find some real gems...which always seem to appear only on the sale table. Every time I go in I find something great, like this eyelet, non-flimsy stretch denim, khaki tencel twill, and printed chiffon.


The little fiddly bits on the trim are much easier if you starch the heck out of it and press the edges under. Doing that makes it a lot simpler to do all the edgestitching, and keep it neat. I still have to work on making better loops. I think I made them a touch big...and wish I could have made the tubes smaller. I think if I cut them on the bias, once I get them turned I could stretch them out and make them narrower.

Finally, here is the tunic "on the hoof."


I think for my next project I will make a pair of white linen pants for summer using the Hot Patterns Marrakesh Drawstring pants pattern:


I feel like the tunics call for a slouchy pant, and I have a 3 yard length of white linen in my stash...now I just need to find some white lining fabric for the pockets.

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend, and as always, more later....

12 comments:

Big in Japan said...

Dynamite fabric, dynamite tunic! Along with the linen pants I suggest some groovy shades and a chilled drink of your choice.

Unknown said...

Great tunic! You will look so cool this spring and summer!!!

Lisette M said...

So very chic!

Melody said...

Wow. I am totally in love with that top, the fabric especially. This is outstanding.

Sue said...

Fabulous top - the detail is great and I love the black/white combo!

gwensews said...

Super looking tunic! The black accents are terrific.

Lynn said...

This looks great on you! Great top!

Sheila said...

Lovely top and like the contrasting color for the collar and hem bands.

angie.a said...

Beautiful! I seriously wish you would just sew for me and I'll do the fun planning part. ;)

Gail said...

Great tunic - black and white is always a stylish choice.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The tunic is really cute. I love the black accents. May I offer a suggestion? You might want to use a nude lining for the pockets . It looks better than white on white.

Meigan said...

I just found your blog. I was hooked as soon as I saw the "Cheap and Picky" (I agree totally). You do nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing your Marrakesh pants! I have the pattern in my stash just waiting...