Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Worst Blogger in the World

Yes! It is Me!

Seriously, I am THE WORST. I have been a terrible blogger, and an even WORSE blog-friend. I haven't had any time to comment on any one's blogs; I'm reading...but no one knows that if you aren't commenting.

My excuses are lame....too busy at work, too busy at home. I finally have all the car issues settled, and the moment that that was all dealt with, I heard from the furniture store that the couch that I ordered (and paid for, mind you) in DECEMBER was now ready for delivery. I tell you, this this the last time I order custom furniture. From now on, if it's not on the floor and ready for pick-up, I don't want it. I am discovering that I am not a "custom couch" kinda gal.

On the other hand, new furniture does in turn require a full "re-do" of the living room. Which in turn required lots and lots of fabric samples.

The couch is red...so the "main" fabric for the room will be this one:


Of course, this matches NOTHING that is already in the room. In fact, the red of the couch makes the drapes (which are actually maroon) look brown:


So, I spent some time on Fabric.com, and ordered some half-yard lengths to see what combinations of fabrics would be good in the room. I decided on this combination:


I haven't quite decided on where the furniture will go in the room, not to mention the old furniture is shoved into the entryway until my brother gets his tail over here to pick it up, but here is what the fabrics might look like in the room:


And here are the samples that didn't make the cut:


So, I will have a few projects for the living room coming up...not the least of which is getting rid of the beige carpet that now matches nothing. Of course, I have no idea what is under it and am completely prepared that what I might have to resort to is a painted floor until it can be replaced with hardwood. In the meantime, I can start planning my pillows and curtains. Oh, and never fear that the samples will go to waste, because I also got the pattern for the Amy Butler Gum Drop Pillows:


I have enough fabric that I can use a different one on each panel, which might be a good way to work in some of the wilder fabrics that I got samples for. Not that I need to add any extra seating with the ridiculously huge couch....

In other news, sewing lessons with my friend Michelle continue. She has successfully completed two shirts, and she is in the process of making a dress. Today she texted me...with a photo...of the Singer 503 she bought today. I think we have a convert!

10 comments:

Big in Japan said...

I love the new fabrics and colors! On any given day if I were to come over and lounge on your new couch, I might just blend into the background with all the black and red. "Oh, it's not a body pillow, it's an actual body!"
And you've thrown down the gauntlet now, because I take claim to the title of Worst Blogger!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure you qualify as worst blogger, I'm pretty sure I've held the title for around 3 years now. ;-) Awesome couch! You picked such a bold color, and I really like the swatches that you chose for pillows and such. I didn't even know you could buy custom furniture any more--and I can't believe how long it took to get to you!

Irene said...

It seems that life has a way of interfering with blogging for many of us.
Hope you have fun with the pillow sewing, etc. No fitting problems!

Ns said...

Oh, I love the bird fabric!

Gail said...

I definitely could live with the bird fabric.

Karin said...

I still like you! You are NOT the worst blogger, no way.

Your pillows remind me that I have needed to redo our living room pillows for three years now. I don't feel very motivated. Especially with small children dragging toys and crumbs all over them.

Beangirl said...

love all of that. all.

(I am a total sucker for red couches, custom or otherwise. yours is extra-nice.)

gwensews said...

Love red. Your room will be spectacular!

Anonymous said...

I love your choices! I have been itching to ditch our brown couches since my husband first moved in... After you post your next sofa pics, my husband may come home to find our couches on the curb!

Amy Bailes said...

5 months for a couch???? Yikes - although it is really is gorgeous! Have fun sewing house stuff - for me, that kind of thing ranks right up there with alterations. :)