So the quest to complete UFOs continues...
I tend to cut out a lot of patterns at a time, so that way I can sew any time I want to and not have to worry about cutting (which is probably my least favorite part of sewing). Because I have this habit, there are PILES of patterns already cut out in my sewing room, including piles of the same pattern cut out in different fabrics.
Since I have been trying to finish the unfinished objects, I just grabbed a pile and started working...this pile happened to be cardigans, as well as some shirts to make twinsets. All were cut from McCalls 5978, a very basic but classic pattern. Here is one of them, made from a leopard print sweater knit from Fabric.com:

And here is the whole batch:

There are 4 cardigans, the leopard print, and then red, black, and white...all also from a rayon/lycra knit from Fabric.com. There was also a top cut from the leopard using New Look 6735. Normally I am not a huge fan of New Look patterns, but the shirt in 6735 has some really great characteristics. The front is cut longer at the bust than in the back, so there is some shaping there, as well as some shaping at the waist. There is also a center back seam (although I don't use it, I just cut it on the fold) if you need to make a swayback adjustment. There is also a turtleneck made from the ubiquitous BurdaStyle 09-2010-121 in the black knit
Also, per a number of requests, here is the tunic from the previous post "on the hoof." I wore it to work on Wednesday, and got lots of compliments. It is also pretty comfortable. In a cotton, it makes a great summer shirt...but in the charmeuse it is plenty heavy for winter.
This photo is about 25 pounds down from the last time I posted any photos of myself on this blog, which was not even at my heaviest. In fact, there is very little photographic evidence of my highest weight. Probably the photo below is the best example, every other photo from that time period I have strategically placed a husband, niece or nephew directly in front of me so the true extent of my weight gain was largely undocumented.
Since that photo was taken, I went back on Weight Watchers, and got active...biking, kettlebell, and roller derby. I still have a long way to go, but you can definitely see the difference that 25 pounds makes in my workout clothes. Here is me ready to go skate:

My preference for all black workout clothes doesn't really help in illustrating physical changes, but so much skating has resulted in a big change in the overall shape of my body...as in, instead of getting smaller, the butt got bigger.
I can live with a big butt. At least I know how to adjust a pant pattern for it.
I have also gone from a BMI of 34 to one of 29...and 29 is almost out of the risk area. Ideally, I would like to lose another 30 pounds, but would be happy with just overall good health. Even as a youth, I was never active or athletic...so the idea that in kettlebell I can lift half my body weight above my head...or that I can skate for 2.5 hours at a time...or that I can ride my bike 20 miles...all of those things are completely astounding to me. So really, the weight loss is secondary to improving my health overall.
Hopefully, I will have a chance to sew a bit more this weekend...perhaps something much more exciting than a drab old cardigan.



7 comments:
You look fantastic. All your hard work is paying off!
You rock.
And nice cardigans.
But mostly, you rock.
The top is great, thanks for sharing the pic with us. I know what you mean about health, I'm walking more and have started to lose inches but its done for my health and not for weight loss. Congrats and I hope that you reach your goals and that your health continues to stay good.
Wow good for you! I was wondering: since you cut so much at the time and sew some much later, aren't some of your FO too big then? Isn't it frustrating? Or do you have a trick? I'm changing sizes myself at the moment (post pregnancy) and wonder how to deal with that
Fantastic! You look fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to take some pics and post them, you look wonderful and I bet you feel even better! Great cardigans, too. Isn't it nice to clean up those "limbo" projects?
Congrats on the weight loss. I know how difficult it is. KID is right--you rock!
You look fabulous!! Thanks for posting about the cardigan. I've been wanting to make one for ages.
Post a Comment