Since this is my first blog post in MONTHS...I should probably explain what has kept me away for so long. As many of you know, I have struggled with hidradenitis suppurativa, and unfortunately one of the treatments is massive doses of steroids. If you flip back through these blogs you can also see me growing in size from said steroids. Go through them fast, it's like a cartoon! Last summer I made the decision that I was going to seek alternate treatments and attempt to reverse the weight gain from the steroids. To that end, I started riding my bike. Not very far at first, but working up to 20 miles at a time. Because my weight was fluctuating so much, I basically quit sewing anything at all, because it wasn't worth the effort to try and fit anything.
When winter arrived, I had to seek out other outlets, and started working with a personal trainer who specializes in kettlebell. I also joined a roller derby league. Yes, roller derby. In fact, it was roller derby that rekindled my interest in sewing, because I was asked to make "helmet panties," the helmet covers that denote who can score points in a jam:


After completing many, many sets of "panties," I was bitten by the creative bug once again and started sewing for myself. The first thing I did was start finishing up the UFOs that were lying around the sewing room, including a charmeuse tunic I had started on in June.
This tunic was inspired by a Pucci tunic that I saw online some time in 2010. Of course, it was much too expensive for me, so I thought...I can make that.
I have long contended that sewing does not save money. However, that is not an entirely accurate statement. In today's world of discount retailers like Old Navy/Target/WalMart/Cato and their massive inventories of cheap goods manufactured in overseas factories without care for basic human needs such as a minimum wage or laws against child labor...there is no way that a home sewer can beat the prices. $30.00 jeans and $8.00 t-shirts? Fabric alone is more expensive.
On the other hand...if your skills are good, you can refine the fit of patterns, and you are willing to take on more complex designs, you can make some beautiful garments that are similar to designer goods. For example, this Pucci tunic retails for $885.00:

$885.00!! For a shirt!!! Gorgeous though it may be, there is NO WAY that I would ever spend that much on a single item of clothing (even if I COULD afford it). I am sure that it is made from a scrumptious silk...that is probably so delicate I would fear to wear it.
On the other hand, I am a complete SUCKER for a charmeuse. So many fabric retailers have available an incredible number of vibrant fabrics...and let's face it, I just cannot pass up a wild charmeuse, even if it is polyester. Plus, I have a trick for sewing with charmeuse that doesn't work on dry-clean only silk....
If you have a slippery, slithery poly charmeuse that is fighting you while you are trying to work with it...just starch the heck out of it. When I have a charmeuse that I want to sew, I hang the whole length of fabric over the shower rod and just spray it all with heavy starch. Let it dry, and then cut out your pattern. It will stay stiff, and won't slip and slide all over while you are trying to sew.
Anyway, given $15.00 worth of poly charmeuse and an OOP McCalls pattern, a reasonable facsimile of said Pucci tunic can be made:

It feels great to be back in the sewing room...and there are dozens more UFOs to work on. Hopefully, I'll have some more updates soon...
20 comments:
I'm glad you're back - you have been missed! So did you manage to lose weight or just keep it in check? And what else have you been sewing? Again glad to have you back!
I am glad to be back, Carolyn!! I have lost about 25 pounds so far...hopefully this week I'll have some more UFOs done...a dress, and maybe a shirt ;)
Roller Derby! I love it! I admire your determination--and your sewing!
I love the kettlebell! So glad you are back!
Welcome back! I love your tunic. I hope your road to good health and fitness is a smooth one (sounds like it has been pretty rough up until now!)
Gorgeous tunic!! This is one of the reasons I sat down to my machine for the first time. Sometimes you just want that 800 dollar top...
STARCH!! You are a genious! NOW... I want to see you pose in that gorgeous tunic, holding a kettleball, and wearing those super fantastic panties!
Congrats and welcome back, I've missed you! 25 pounds is a major accomplishment, especially in the winter! Job well done, on the loss and that fine looking tunic!
So glad you're back Michelle! Congratulations on the 25 pounds and on roller derby! I love the helmet panties, and your top is fantastic.
Welcome back. I wondered what happened to you.
Welcome back! I've been MIA from sewing and blogging too, a few comments is all I manage. Good job on tackling UFOs and hope to see more in the near future!
Glad you are back :-)
Glad to see you back!
That tunic is just lovely!
So happy to see you back in the blog and sewing world. I missed you! Congrats on the weight loss. Hope your battle with this condition continues to improve!
Oh, Michelle, so glad to have you back in blogland....and more importantly to see that you are having fun sewing again. Congrats on the new exercise program, the weight loss and your renewed enthusiasm. Your tunic reminds me an inspirational instructor who said she sewed garments that she couldn't afford to buy, not ones that she could.
Nice to see you're back. I like your tunic and I love the tip for sewing the slippery fabrics .. I have washable silk and that is a great tip but I think I'll do a wash test first.
Your tunic is lovely. I like your print fabric better than the one in the inspiration photo. Roller derby.. what fun! I love those helmet panties.
Glad you're back! That tunic is gorgeous
I am so glad to see you back. I've thought of you often and attempted to contact you to see if everything was okay. I look forward to reading more from you!
Checking blogs tonight and wondered why I even bothered to click on because you've been gone for so long and WOO HOO ~ you're back! Good on you for getting to the UFOs, seeking alternate cures, the fitness focus . . . you are an inspiration, I tell ya!
Post a Comment