I was totally inspired by Carolyn's blog about organizing her fabrics, and Amanda's blog about matching up all her fabrics with patterns, so I decided to try the same thing.
I had to stop. I couldn't make up my mind. And it was going to make me cry.
I did manage to split my fabrics into two big bins...one that I can sew now (the cheap stuff, I'll sew while I'm all chubby from my medication), and things I will sew later (heavy wools for winter, and the expensive stuff that I won't sew until I get back to a decent weight).
For the stuff that I will sew now, I tried to make plans for. But, I ended up setting aside ALL the pants fabric because I ordered Pants for Real People, Pants for Any Body, and Fit for Real People. I know, I know, I finally caved and bought a book. So, it's back to muslin for me until I get my fit issues figured out. So, all the denim...twill...suiting....back into the bin!
Which left me with fabric for shirts, dresses, skirts, and jackets. Here are my plans:
I would like to do another version of Butterick 5331. I was pleased with the way my pink version came out, and lately I am having a bit of an obsession with orange. So, I would like to make another jacket in linen, and I have a couple of fat quarters in an orange print to use for the binding:

Next, I have a black pique to make a 3/4 sleeve jacket. I love the little peplum on this. Because I want it to be breathable, I am leaving out the lining, and binding the seams instead. I have both a black and white print that I could use, or I could go all out and use a leopard print:

I also picked up a copy of McCalls 5860, a jean jacket. I am considering doing it in a white linen. I still have some of the eyelet left from my shirt, and was thinking of doing an overlay on the back panel. I'm not sure, though. I wonder if that will look too "Welcome to Chico's, where we sell art to wear!"

If I decide not to make the jean jacket from the linen, I will use it to make one of these two Vogues. I know it's not very creative to make it just like the pattern envelope, but I really like the looks of both. I think the DKNY would be better for my body shape...I worry about the boxy shape of the Badgley Mischka:

If the linen gets repurposed, I have an embroidered red stretch cotton that I can use for the jeans jacket. One of the women that I work with has a hot pink eyelet jean jacket, and for some reason the first time I saw her wear it, it made me think of this fabric:

I also still need to work on my pink dress with the ruffled neckline, and have some pink floral cotton that I can use for seam binding:

I have a retro apron pattern that I need to finish for my friend, Tee:

And finally, I want to make a muslin of this Chado Ralph Rucci shirt-dress. I have a lightweight black twill that I think would be perfect for it. It's a pretty complex pattern, made even more so with the creation of your own macrame belt, knotted fabric buttons, pleat underlays, full lining, topstitching, and god knows what else they throw into the mix. I'm going to make a version without the lining and with flat-felled seams to mimic the topstitching:

And then I could do no more and ran screaming from the room.
5 comments:
Gad I know that feeling.
I hate to sound silly, but I did not know that there were people still into sowing...nice and young people.
Sounds like you came up with some pretty sound plans - in spite of being driven to near madness :) Well worth it, no?
No screaming, that takes all the fun out of playing with the pretty fabrics! I'm also doing Butterick 5331 (in orange and fushia plaid, like the pic), and agree with you on the DKNY jacket instead of the boxy one. Good luck!
Oh my gosh! Not only would I have gone screaming from the room after all that--I probably would have set my hair on fire AND run screaming from the room.
The plans sound great--my problem is - I always get sidetracked somehow. Good luck. I'll be following all your progress here.
Post a Comment