Today I had to go to Barnes and Noble and took a quick turn through the magazines while I was there and there it was....right there....ready to jump into my hot little hands.
Really, I just couldn't justify the $100.00 subscription cost, but $12.00 for a copy...I could handle that!
And, I am HOOKED! I had to go directly to the fabric store where I found clearance wool suiting for $1.95. Let me say that again slowly....a dollar ninety-five. I took the whole bolt! I also got a black and white cotton pique for a summer blazer.
So here are my plans:
I am going to make this jacket in the black and white pique, with a black lining. I am going to leave off the pockets and the fakey pocket flaps up on top.
I am going to make this skirt in the black wool, and I am going to add a lining so it isn't all scratchy.
And finally:
These pants, also in black wool with a lining.
In the meantime, everything else in the sewing room is shoved to the side while I trace out these patterns. I'm going to HATE adding the seam allowances, though. That does kind of suck.
2 comments:
1. Ebay for the subscription. $80 for a year, but when you do the math, it comes out to $6 per issue for 15-20 patterns.
2. Adding seam allowances can be done easily 2 ways. a) buy a $2 compass at the drug store and open it the width of the SA or b)take 2 pencils and some strips of corrugated cardboard. Place however much cardboard you need between the pencils for the SA, then tape the pencils together. This is my favorite way because as you trace the seam lines, the cutting lines are laid at the same time! Good luck and have fun!
I wondered why you never used Burda! I got a complimentary issue when I emailed the company with questions and had the same revelationary experience as you. I use a long, clear ruler to do seam allowances and a French curve. My pattern-making teacher considered not using a french curve as blasphemy. If you don't have one already, I'd highly suggest buying one. They're just a couple bucks.
Post a Comment