Tuesday, May 26, 2009

McCall 5815


Over the Memorial Day holiday I had grand plans to put the long weekend to good use. I really didn't get as much done as I had hoped! When I got home from work today, I finished McCall 5815, a short-sleeved jacket with pleated sleeves and an elaborate draped collar.


I had hoped that the collar wouldn't look too much like "I shop in my Grandmother's closet," and I am still on the fence as far as the jacket is concerned. I used a linen/cotton blend because I thought that it would be "drapey" enough for the collar, but ultimately it doesn't have enough body to make the jacket and sleeves look nice. It just doesn't press as well as I had wanted.

The jacket has princess seams as well as a front dart, which gives it a nice shape. But, I had to take out my standard two inches under each arm and re-cut the armscyes...just like always.


The collar came out well, and the instructions were clear as long as you went step-by-step and read through carefully before sewing. Also, make sure you keep your pattern pieces clearly labeled, because there are separate under collar, and upper collar pieces that look nearly identical. The collar also won't go together well unless you are really careful in making your markings. In the end though, it came together. Although in sewing the section of the lapel with the little band that goes around the bow, I switched to a zipper foot to be able to get around the huge mass of fabric.


I also left out the lining and just did a hong kong finish on the seams instead. I didn't want a lining because I wanted the jacket to be cool for summer. The huge mass of fabric on the collar is already like wearing a scarf, and in a humid St. Louis summer I might just pass out from the heat.


I also ended up taking off the pockets. I sewed them on and they just would not drape they way they did on the pattern photo. So, rather than leaving them poking out the way they were, I just took them off.


Overall, I am pleased with the way the jacket came out given my changes and alterations. I am trying to make some office-appropriate wear for the summer that is not a full suit. Now if I could just master pants.....

6 comments:

Gail said...

Lovely jacket. This pattern may be just the thing I need for a cocktail outfit.

Shannon said...

Pretty jacket - I love the colour!

Patty said...

I keep seeing this pattern made up and it looks great every time. Love the color! I chuckled at the 'grandma' reference to the purple color....I never thought of purple that way, but I did have a sales person tell me that once when I was trying on a knit sweater sample at a yarn shop (I picked green in that instance, hmmmm!). Hey, the First Lady looks great in purple, and not grandmotherly!!
Nice work!

Unknown said...

Nice jacket! Applause for your patience to get the fit perfect, and double applause on being so productive during the holiday weekend!

Sew Shy said...

Cute!

narcissaqtpie said...

color's awesome. Nice work!