Seriously, these things are so easy to make!! I was done and watching Top Chef by 9. Of course, I still haven't cleaned up the sewing room, but that is completely beside the point:

Plus, I needed a brown dress. I have hardly anything brown in my closet. This one I also made with long sleeves, and shortened the bottom band to gather the bottom edge of the skirt more like the pattern illustration. My first version, the band was more of a 1:1 ratio to the bottom edge of the skirt, and didn't gather at all. So I shortened the pattern piece by 1 1/2 inches (for 3 inches off the bottom band) and this is what I got. I am much happier with this look.
I also styled this version a bit more formally for work, with tights and boots. I also found a stack of gold bangles that I haven't worn in YEARS. I should take a close-up photo of them because they are very pretty. The story behind them is when I was in graduate school, each year I would travel overseas to do archaeological work...to Syria, Turkey, Morocco, Egypt...and one of the very common items that you see in shops there are gold bangles. So every year, I would purchase a single gold bangle to remember my time there that season. I have a whole arm full, 9 in total. The funny part is because it is more common that the gold used in those countries is 21 to 24 karat, it looks "too yellow" to us, who are used to seeing 14 karat gold, and most anyone who sees them assume that they are "fake."
But, "fake" or not, it was still nice to get a change to wear them and remember bargaining in the shops and agonizing over designs. I do miss those days.
9 comments:
I agree, I really like the bottom gathers on this one. Very cute!!
Love the color! The gathered bottom looks really cute! I finally got my patern in but I still haven't had a chance to make it up..boohoooo!
WOW! Looks great! Cute n' easy--gotta love it! And it makes you look remarkably thin! It's not just the dress though, is it? So happy for you! You look great!
Between you and Trudy on YouTube I am now convinced. I want that dress!!
I love all your versions.
Very nice. Are you going to take the bands off your other dresses and re-do them? Enjoy wearing that dress AND your bangles!
Since your first post linking to the Hot Patterns videos and seeing the lovely gray dress you made, I have ordered and received my pattern. This will be my first Hot Patterns to sew up, and if my outcome looks as great as yours, I will be very happy!
Another great dress! I love the bracelets and the story behind them. Are you an archeologist now? My dd is getting her Ph.D. in Anthropology.
Another great dress!!!
Thank you, everyone!! Julia, I am an archaeologist, I earned my PhD in Anthropology in 2003, however I have left full-time teaching and made the transition to university administration. I still teach one course a semester, but am in Academic Affairs now. I hope your daughter is enjoying her graduate work. I loved graduate school, I certainly remember it as my "glory days," lol!!
Post a Comment