Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sorry I Fell Off The Planet....

But last Sunday my Grandmother passed away.

She was 83 and had been suffering from lung cancer for the last three years, and had decided to end the chemotherapy. She passed away at home, with both her children, all five of her grandchildren, and her three great-grandchildren all at her bedside.

It was a good end, and it was on her own terms.

She was a pretty amazing lady. I grew up in her house, and she was the one who taught me how to sew, and really taught me most of the stuff I write about here. Mostly, she just taught me to be fearless.






22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful pics of your grandmother!

Maryissewfast said...

My heart goes out to you...being a Grandma's girl myself, I know what a treasure they are! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your Grandma with us.

Gail said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. The photos you shared are very special. Honour her memory by living a life that would make her proud.

Sarah said...

Sorry for your loss- your grandmother was a beautiful woman and it sounds like she lived a full life with lots of love surrounding her. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Melody said...

I am so sorry. The pictures of her are great and you look like her in the one with the drinks in front.

gwensews said...

Sincerest sympathy to you. It's difficult always, losing someone you love. My grandmother was a major force in my young life. She's been gone 23 years and I still miss her and think about her.

Dissolved Girl said...

Sorry for your loss and Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of your grandmother.

becki-c said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful woman. I am sure that she is very proud of you. Your life is a beautiful homage to her memory.

Unknown said...

My deepest sympathies, Michelle. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures, and don't forget that you'll always carry her with you, in your heart.

Sew Shy said...

Sorry about your grandmother...

Linda T said...

I think you have her wonderful smile. Losing the ones we love the most and who have taught us so many things about life and passions is difficult. But I have learned that precious memories of them can be oh so comforting throughout those days they are no longer with us here and that those precious ones are always with us in our heart!

connieB said...

It is always a sad time when a loved one passes away. Thanks for sharing a little bit of her with us. My thoughts are with you.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Sorry for you loss. I agree with Linda T that you have your grandmother's smile!

Tanya said...

You have my condolences, very nice pictures.

Lisa said...

My God give you comfort in your time of mourning.

My Grandmother was dear to me also and I was quite sad when she passed away 10 years ago.

SkitzoLeezra said...

Aw, sorry to hear that. Thanks for showing us a glimpse of your grandmother.

Sew Great To Be Me said...

Michelle,
Your granmother was beautiful, and might I add quite fashionable. You have that same tilt in your photos :) Im glad that you shared many years with her.

Netta Boo said...

Michelle,
Your grandmother was beautiful and might I add quite fashionable. You have that same tilt in your photo. :) Im glad that you were able to share many years with her.

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing your photos. Look after yourself at this difficult time.

Shannon said...

What a lovely pictorial tribute. I am so sorry for your loss.

DanainDFW said...

I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. She was so pretty - love the wedding photo and then many years later the wedding couple again.