This weekend I have my niece, Sadie, with me. My mother called me and told me I had to take her to get a haircut, and because my mother has no patience she was ill prepared for the two days of "But Aunt Missy, HOW should I get my hair cut???" that leads up to these decisions. Sadie also wanted to sew this weekend, and wants to make a dress from one of the vintage patterns that I got recently. She is working on Simplicity 8192 from the 1960's and has the pattern traced, altered, and the fabric cut out. She hopes to get to some of the sewing today.

I also made her a little dress from the Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Knit Dress pattern:

She loves polka dots of all kinds, and I found this fabric on sale, so I made her the dress. When I got the fabric home it was so far off-grain that I am surprised the skirt is not spun around backwards on her. But, as little as I paid for it, it is unsurprising. I just muddled along hoping that the additional ease in the dress would keep it from twisting too badly. She's 12....it's not like she'll notice!
Sadie insisted that we needed matching dresses (if someone can explain to me the brain of a 12-year-old girl, that would be much appreciated), so I had to slap one together for myself, too:

I also made a shirt for myself last weekend and then never photographed it. I had this Alexander Henry quilting cotton languishing in my stash that I had loved because it had architectural details all over it. I bought 2 yards not really knowing what I would do with it. So, I traced a version of the shirt dress that I made the other week, but cut it off shirt-length, and this is what I ended up with:


I am not entirely happy with what I did with the pattern on the front. I wasn't paying any attention in my layout (not thinking that the pattern was that regular a repeat) and got the patterns matching on the front:

Eh, I'll wear it anyway. People will think it was supposed to be that way.
In other news, re: getting myself in over my head with projects well outside my skill level...I am making a western shirt for my husband. He has been playing in a western swing band, and they all dress in western shirts, hats, and boots. I decided that I would make him one...complete with embroidery. The minute it was out of my mouth, I knew that I had made a mistake!!
I bought this fabric:

I have this pattern, but am just using it for inspiration because I don't feel up to the alterations:

I am just adding the cuff and yoke details to a shirt pattern that already fits my husband.
The red will be the yoke and cuffs, and the gray will be the body of the shirt. I drew my own pattern for the embroidery, basing it on the scroll and f-holes on the bass. Here is the pattern for the back:

And here is what I drew for the front:

Once I had drawn it, I had NO CLUE how to get this transferred onto the fabric. So, I traced it onto soil separator cloth...which bleeds when you use markers on it. Since it bleeds so easily, I took the pattern and then laid it on the yoke pieces. I then used washable markers (kid's crayola markers) and traced over the pattern again, letting it bleed through to the fabric underneath:

Then I embroidered the piece, using mainly backstitch, but also made flowers with cutouts of the other fabric, and used a blanket stitch to attach them. After I cut them, I ran a little anti-ravel liquid around the edges, which also made them a bit stiffer, and easier to place and sew:

I am about 1/3 done with the embroidery and hope to get to cutting out the rest of the shirt next week. Wish me luck!!
Updated 4/26 to add, I was able to get the yokes attached and the front and backs of the shirt sewn together over the weekend:

9 comments:
Your husband's shirt is going to be awesome!!! I like the matching aunt/niece dresses too...and even after raising 3 daughters I have no clue how a 12-yr old girl's brain works.
Well I'm impressed. Love the idea of incorporating the detail from his instrument. Inspired. Cant wait to see the finished garment.
Wow, you are doing a great job! What a lucky guy! Hope you and Sadie are having fun, love the matching dresses! (Remind me to tell you about "matching outfits" on Tue nite!)
I understand about getting behind in the reading and posting of blogs. It seems that if I miss one day, I can't catch up for 3!
Your niece is really cute, but there is not a way to get into the brain of one this age. I taught 6th grade for years!!!
Your husband's shirt is great so far!!!
You have been busy! Can't wait to see the western shirt. It will be fantastic, I just know it!
Cute dresses! Ooo... can't wait to see the finished shirt! The embroidery looks fabulous!
Wow, busy bee!! The dresses are very cute, and the shirt is going to be amazing. But boo to cheap knits! You know I feel your pain!
How cute that you and your niece made matching dresses. The western shirt is an ambitious endeavor and looking forward to the finale post.
I love the dresses. I really like what you are doning with the western shirt for your husband. The personalized embroidery is wonderful. When you are able to post, it is bright spot for me. I know you are very busy and aporeciate when you can chronicle your adventures sewing and living.
Lita
Post a Comment