Per the plan, I started with a striped sweater tunic to wear over a turtleneck and narrow legged pants. I have been collecting an absolutely ridiculous number of inspiration photos, so I decided to make a little storyboard for each of the pieces, with the fabric and pattern that I had decided to use:

For this one I used a striped wool sweater knit from Sawyer Brook that has both black and grey (colors from my original SWAP that is now over half done) as well as turquoise and blue, colors that I wanted to work in via the Endless Combinations.
I used Butterick 5528 as a starting point for the tunic, but I did a significant amount of contouring to keep it from being boxy. I also changed the neckline, sleeves and hem to have a binding since I didn't like the way my fabric looked just hemmed. Here is the final product:

Here is the neckline with the binding:

With the cut-on sleeves and the simple shape, there was quite a bit of fabric left over, so I made a scarf. I used the 3-thread rolled hem option on my serger, finished the edges of a couple of big rectangles of fabric, and joined them to make a big scarf:

From here, my next step will be either a turtleneck to go under the tunic, or a pair of narrow cut pants, since I have vetoed any options that involve leggings. I am currently trying to talk myself out of a pair of skinny jeans. But, I have a length of graphite-colored denim with lycra that when it arrived was much stretchier than I had anticipated. However, it could work for a pair of skinny jeans. I must think on this...
18 comments:
I love this with the scarf and can just imagine it with a black turtleneck under it! Awesome!
I love this top, and think you're a genius to add the scarf accessory. What about using the stretchy denim for a fitted knee length skirt?
I'm also down with that scarf, more versatile than a full-blown cowl neck on the top. Well done and good luck in the contest!
I am going to enjoy seeing you put your endless combination wardrobe together. Love your patter choice.
I love the scarf idea, it's like having 2 tops in one!
I love the top and what a brilliant idea to make a scarf to match! I must remember that idea next time I have enough fabric left over.
Great top, love the scarf! I can't wait to see what you do for your combinations. I wasn't going to do this contest but I just might now, it looks fun.
That turned out wondeful. And although I admitted to being not too sure about that scarf prior to your making it--you got me! I like it too!
I love your top.I think that it will look great with the turtleneck and narrow pants.
Lovely top and like the binding for the neckline and sleeves. The scarf looks darling with the top. I have acquired a collection of knits scarves. Once I finish a knit garment, I use the remainder for a scarf or if not enough for a scarf I make a hat.
I love the scarf with this top. Great start to your EC plan
I love your top and scarf. I would buy that in a store. I would give the skinny jeans a try- sounds like your fabric would be perfect for it.
So cute and very versatile! The scarf is a great touch.
Great job on the tunic! That binding is so perfect and I love the scarf.
I love your plan for the contest and the striped tunic turned out beautifully. Nice job.
Nice job on the top. We are our own designers, and patterns are only a "suggestion".
I love this top, so much you can do with it in a wardrobe combo. I really like it with the scarf.
LOve this top very pretty. Enjoying watching your wardrobe come to life.
Post a Comment