Short boucle jackets seem to be a popular item this year:

Since the boucle jacket would be appropriate given current style, I decided that I would use McCall's 6041 as a base.
I had long avoided this pattern because of all the home-ecky stuff they had sewn to it in the photo and the illustrations. However, as it turns out, it is a pattern with "good bones," including a two-piece sleeve and multiple cup sizes. However, there were also some fit issues such as a very wide sleeve and extremely short bodice, so make a muslin first. I lengthened all the body pieces by 1 1/2 inches, since I did not want the jacket to be quite a short as illustrated. I wanted it to hit me at about hipbone height, and not at waist height. Most of the lining pieces are made from the same pattern as the jacket pieces, but not the center back, so make sure if you lengthen you lengthen that piece, too.
In my muslin, I also found the arms to be HUGE. So, I narrowed them significantly by slashing starting at the bicep, and overlapping the pieces to narrow them. I also shortened them by 1 inch.
I also left off the pockets and minimized the trim, since I thought it looked very overdone.
I used a single row of narrow trim, with a silver base a few sequins:

The pattern also provides pieces and instructions for a full lining:

I did not use the instructions for the lining, however, since it involved extensive hand sewing (my least favorite thing in the world), but instead used the instructions from Threads Magazine for bagging the lining by machine.
The boucle has a distinct horizonal stripe, but is also somewhat loosely woven. As a result, I had a heck of a time getting it to match:

The jacket fits well into my Endless Combinations plan, and provides a source for further coordination. The next item will be a pair of pants to match the jacket and the turtleneck.
6 comments:
You did a wonderful job on your jacket including matching. I'm so partial to any shade of blue and have loved that pattern ever since it came out.
I love wearing these jackets in winter over jeans, over skirts, over tailored slacks - endless combinations indeed. Your jacket turned out very well.
Your jacket will be a super wardrobe basic. It will go dressy or casual. Nice sewing!
This is so cute! I love this boucle. I think I really need to make one of these Chanel styled jackets.
Very pretty jacket! I like how your trim echos the white stripe in the fabric. Grey and blue is one of my favorite color combinations.
The colors are gorgeous! It looks like it fits perfectly in your wardrobe. I've always wanted a Chanel style boucle jacket. I think I have all the materials... I just need to make it. You're definitely reminding me that I need to get on it.
Post a Comment