Sunday, December 5, 2010

Endless Combinations Piece Four

I know it's been a long time since I posted, but life has intervened....I had hoped to spend the Thanksgiving holiday sewing, but had my in-laws in town instead and this weekend I have had my niece and nephew.

I have still been plugging away on pieces four and five, but my progress has been slow, slow, slow.

Piece four is complete...a boucle jacket to coordinate with piece two, the blue turtleneck:


I used McCall's 6041, a pattern that I had used once before. Because I had made it already, I knew that I needed to lengthen the jacket by 1 1/2 inches, and also shorten and narrow the sleeves. I also added a facing to the back neck, so that the lining would not go all the way to the edge. I thought that the boucle needed some support, so added the facing.

For the lining, I used a navy poly lining from Hancock's. I didn't use the pattern instructions for inserting it, however. They have almost the whole insertion done by hand, so I used a Threads tutorial for bagging the lining.


McCall's tends to get carried away with the "Make it Crafty" patterns, so I eliminated all but one bit of trim. I used a silver braid with small sequins in the center:


I also left off the pockets. Overall I am pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I did have a heck of a time matching the stripes. I had never matched plaids or stripes across princess seams before and it got a little wobbly on the back:


This weekend, I also completed a pair of corduroy pants that will coordinate with the jacket, all they are in need of is hemming and a good pressing. I also have a rayon knit top cut out, which would bring me to six pieces total, and that may be all I am going to be able to pull off for Endless Combinations.

Cross your fingers that I manage to get everything put together and photgraphed by the 14th!

13 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Looking really good. Your pieces work very well together.

Big in Japan said...

Lookin' good! Go Michelle, go!!

Nancy K said...

It's lovely. How many pieces are you planning to complete for this?

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sure that you will get everything done and photographed by the 15th! I have faith in you!

KID, MD said...

Very nice!! Your stripe matching looks great!

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

Beautiful jacket. Beautifully sewn. I love the texture of the fabric. Very nice.

Mary Nanna said...

I bet this looks really pretty on you - the colours are so lovely and soft. The smaller the curve on the princess seam, the better the chances of getting it to match more closely - for me with my alterations, it can only be matched from the bottom to the waist - at that point the amount to be eased in becomes too great. That's why I prefer darts if I am sewing stripes!

Gail said...

I love your take on the Chanel jacket. The colour of the fabric is just beautiful and the workmanship very good.

Lyndle said...

Lovely jacket. You are so productive! And matching stripes with princess seams must be a challenge. I'm far too woossy to try this.

Irene said...

Lovely, lovely jacket! The matching looks very good in the picture. Your output is really impressive.

Patty said...

This is very pretty and will be a practical addition to your wardrobe. I can see it worn with jeans and dress slacks, very verstatile! And I think that you matched the stripes just fine!

gwensews said...

Your jacket is very pretty. It will coordinate with a lot of things. Very nice.

Eugenia said...

Fabulous jacket, very Chanel. I love the fabric - those blue shades are beautiful.