Saturday, December 18, 2010

Year End Summary

Today I decided that I would take a look back at what I worked on this year, which has been a busy sewing year, busier than last year...which I find surprising!

In 2010, I sewed 85 items overall. 62 items were garments for me, but I also made a number of gifts. 12 of the items were tea wallets that I made for a valentines day exchange, and 11 were garments made as gifts for my nephew Darrell, my brother Darrell (no Larry jokes, we've heard them, I promise!!) and garments that I assisted my niece with while she learns to sew (or, perhaps more accurately, garments that she sews the long, straight seams on and I do the rest while she watches...and then she later takes all the credit for it).

This is significantly more than 2009, in which I made 49 items for me. I also sewed 16 projects made with my niece and nephew, Sadie and Darrell. I also made 14 gifts.

The year broke down as follows:

January was the most prolific month, in which I sewed 18 items. However, 12 of those items were the tea wallets for the Valentines Day exchange. Otherwise, I sewed 6 items, which is about average for me. The most prolific garment sewing month was October. In October, I sewed 11 items, and that was the month I started my SWAP. The least prolific months were July, August, September, but these were also the months I made the most complex garments, like my trench coat.

In the end, I averaged 7 items per month, better than one a week...so the next time I feel like I never get anything done, I will read this!

The source of my patterns has changed significantly. I used to sew almost exclusively "Big 4," but this year I sewed a lot more from independents (Jalie and Hot Patterns) and also from magazines. For the garments that I sewed for myself, the breakdown is as follows:
  • 18 garments from Burda patterns (I include downloads, envelope, magazine)
  • 16 garments from Hot Patterns
  • 7 garments from Butterick patterns
  • 6 garments from Vogue
  • 6 garments from McCalls
  • 3 garments from Jalie
  • 2 garments from Simplicity
  • 2 garments from New Look
  • 2 garments that were self-drafted
When I first started sewing, I made almost exclusively dresses...which is interesting, because I never really wore dresses before I started sewing. So, I re-evaluated and tried to sew more separates this year. The garments I made were:
  • 27 shirts (either blouses or pullovers)
  • 11 pairs of pants
  • 11 dresses
  • 7 jackets
  • 4 skirts
  • 1 coat
In 2009, the item that I made most were pants....24 pairs, 4 of which were unwearable...in my quest for good pants fit. I increased my shirt sewing from 8 to 27.

Of the garments I made, they ranged from the most simple tees, to the most complex garments that I have made. The quickest and easiest were a number turtlenecks from a Burda magazine patterns, tees from my TNT New Look pattern, and the Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Dress. The turtleneck takes as much time to cut out as it does to sew!

The most complex garments that I made included a fully-lined McCalls Trenchcoat, and a Hot Patterns Coat Dress in silk with organza underlining and hong kong seam binding. I also made an embroidered western-style shirt for Jeremy, my husband.

As for the expense of my hobby, I added up all my fabric, notion, and pattern expenditures and found that I spent a total of $1800.00 over the course of the year. If you divide this by the 72 items that were actual garments, I averaged a total expenditure of $26.00 per garment. However, some garments were very complex, and a comparable garment would have been cost-prohibitive to purchase a RTW version. Knowing my purchasing preferences, what I WOULD have spent breaks down like this:
  • 27 shirts (either blouses or pullovers) x an average of $20.00 = $540.00
  • 11 pairs of pants x $40 = $440.00
  • 11 dresses x $75 = $825.00
  • 7 jackets x $50 = $350.00
  • 4 skirts x $40 = $160.00
  • 1 coat x $200 = $200.00
This adds up to a total of $2515.00 that I would have spent (assuming I could have caught everything on sale. I'm not even going to pretend that I haven't spent $120.00 on a pair of suit pants). But, I use the lower cost given that I actually end up with more clothes than I would have purchased when I make them. So, ultimately I spent moderately less then I would have had I purchased the items in the stores, but this also does not take into account my time. I even wrote a whole blog about how sewing saves me absolutely nothing, or a huge amount depending on whether my goal is to merely cover my nakedness (I could purchase t-shirts and jeans at Old Navy, Target and other discount stores for considerably less ) or to knock off designer duds (in which case I can save a significant amount, even if I add in my time).

My accomplishments this year include:
  • Became competent with the serger
  • Began sewing with better quality fabrics like wool and silk
  • I made my first attempt at welt pockets, which previously scared the bejesus out of me
  • I got better at drafting/morphing patterns
  • Conquered more complex constructions like underlining garments, coats, jeans
  • I also became less reliant on instructions, so I could take advantage of patterns like Burda magazine patterns, and Hot Patterns (which is definitely reflected in my pattern usage this year!)
My goals for next year are not incredibly extensive...I have tackled a lot of techniques, so my main goal is to just refine my sewing. Besides overall refining of technique, I would also like to begin to learn pattern drafting or draping. I would also like to finish a wool coat, and have considered taking on a blazer for my husband (IF I could find a good pattern).

Here are some photos this year's projects. Here are all my boys wearing shirts made by me:


Here is my simplest project of the year, the Burda turtleneck (worn with redrafted Jalie jeans):


And my most complex project of the year, my McCalls trench coat:


My most creative project of the year, an embroidered shirt for my husband:


My favorite project of the year, my Hot Patterns Coat Dress:


Most worn, my Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Dress:

Sadie loves hers, too!


In all, this has been a good year...a year in which I have become a better sewer, as well as a better PLANNER, which has made for a better year in terms of production. In fact, only two complete wadders this year, and no new UFOs. THIS is an accomplishment!!

21 comments:

Linda T said...

All I can say is WOW! What a productive year in garment volume and experience and knowledge. Wonderful!

Unknown said...

You've sewn a million stitches, and made a whole lot of people smile, most of all the people you sewed for. But you missed a milestone... you and I became very good friends via Google chat! I always check the sidebar for your "green light" when I'm there! Thank you for your friendship, your support, your kindness, your laughter. You continue to inpire me in and out of the sewing room! Thanks, friend!

Toocutedobs said...

What a great review of your projects. That had to have made youfeel quite accomplished! I love the coat dress you made, it is very flattering on you too.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Wow, you've been productive! I love the Hot Patterns coat dress. It looks fabulous on you!

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

You have created so many beautiful things this year. Absolutely amazing. I like how you've summarized the year, and focused on what you learned. Great idea.

Jane M said...

Bravo!!! What a great sewing year....and happy people who have benefited from your talents. So inspiring to see all of this. Thanks, you're challenging me for 2011.

Mary Nanna said...

Well done, I am always intrigued to see what came out as total successes for people and what they end up wearing, and why. A great year's work.

Eugenia said...

What an amazingly productive year. I am so impressed by what you have achieved - not only in quantity but also in quality. I always look foreward to seeing what you have made and love everything but I think my very favourite is that trench coat - I remember feeling pea green with envy when I first saw that one! I'm looking foreward to seeing how your wardrobe expands even further next year!

Sarah C said...

Oh my! You have had a fantastic year sewing! Great job. I look forward to what you will make next year.

Christiana said...

An amazing year. It was very inspiring to read about all that you have done. Thank you for sharing all your sewing adventures.

Wishing you a very creative and fun 2011

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Irene said...

Wow! That's a lot of sewing. It does make sense to sit back and recap the accomplishments of the past year, just to be able to see how productive the year has been. Good to see how you've progressed in your skills. Here's hoping that you continue on the same path in the next year. You're a real inspiration!

HeathersSphere said...

You are very talented, creative, and productive! You and your family are adorable. As always, I look forward to seeing and reading about your projects. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Well done. Very inspiring. I hope I can get my prduction up to somewhere near yours!

Hatty

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Thanks for the review! You have had a very good year as you can tell by your output. But I think the most important thing that happened this year is that your confidence in your sewing abilities have grown and that is the most awesome feat that you have accomplished. I will be right here cheering you on in 2011!!

Kim Hood said...

I am so impressed!
I haven't kept a record of what I sew through the year so far but I think I should start (if only to poke me into being more productive!)

Rose said...

What a wonderful review! It's great to see how productive you have been throughout the year. And I think that you won something from Smoking Needles--is this you?

http://smokingneedlesknitting.blogspot.com/2010/12/and-winners-are.html

Have a very happy Christmas.

Rose in SV

Serendipity Handmade + Vintage said...

I am doing a sewing/craft round-up too, but yours is much more extensive than mine!

I LOVE that coat dress. To die for.

Happy holidays!

Sue said...

What a great year you have had!

Sheila said...

What an Awesome sewing year and Wishing you & yours Happy Holidays and a Beautiful New Year.

Big in Japan said...

Cheers to you! That's an awesome amount accomplished! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Last comment, promise. So sewing doesn't save you money. It does offer high quality and a well styled wardrobe. I think you are quite fashionable and honestly you probably would have spent a lot more money to get clothes as nice as yours. Plus I sew 1/2 because what I want I can't find. So I have to make it. I’m not sure if that’s how you are but the things you make a unique, not like a mass produced garment at Target. You’ll never be caught wearing the same thing at the girl in front of you at the super market.