Monday, June 6, 2011

New HotPatterns Shirt

This weekend I completed HotPatterns 1108, the "Weekender Sunshine Summer in the City Shirt, Tunic and Dress." I made the shirt version. Here is the pattern art:


And here is the description from the HotPatterns website:

"Easy, breezy and totally gorgeous shirt style, this works best in drapey shirt weight fabrics like soft chambray, rayon, crepe, silk twill, washed linen, voile, or even a knit jersey.

Semi-fitted shirt has classic collar and stand; front and back are gathered onto a yoke. Choose from 3 lengths...shirt, tunic or shirtdress, all finished with a shirt-tail hem. Shirt offers 3 different short sleeve options... rolled up with buttoned strap; elasticated; and ruched with self fabric drawstring.

Perfect for casual weekend looks but also great for low-key day or evening outfits, this beautifully relaxed style is a must-have addition to your HotPatterns wardrobe...wear the dress version belted for a casually chic outfit; try the shirt version tucked into a slick pencil skirt and wear the tunic version over slim or relaxed-fit cropped or rolled-up pants."

From my experience with this pattern, I can say that you must follow the fabric recommendations. I think that mine might even have been a bit stiff. I'll launder it a couple of times to see if the gathers calm down, but I pressed the gathers down on the back to keep it from "pouffing" (of course, if you watch the video posted on the website, Trudy's pouffs on the back, too).

Number two, there was a little oddness when attaching the shirt fronts to the yoke. If I matched the notches exactly...this is what I ended up with:


The portion to the left in the image is the shirt front (button placket to the top of the image) and the yoke is to the right. You can see there is a bit of offset at the end of the yoke. So, I did this:


And that seemed to work perfectly fine, the end of the yoke seam is hidden in the collar stand, and the collar stand fits perfectly. Here is the finished shirt:


The sleeves look a bit forlorn just hanging there on the mannequin, but in reality they are quite cute. I guess you could say they are kind of a modified Kimono sleeve.

Here is the shirt from the back:


You can see that the back is heavily gathered. The gathers are a much softer look than pleats.

And here is the shirt ready to go to work:


You can see the length since I opted not to tuck it in. This is the shirt length. I found the shirt to be a bit roomier than what I normally wear, being a bit heavy I normally try to avoid extra volume in my clothes. To minimize the volume I ended up belting it to wear it to work today.

There also seems to me to be a little too much fabric under the arms...I know that with a kimono-type sleeve there is always going to be fabric folded under the arms, but I thought that I could minimize that in a second version (I started the alterations this evening after work, which everything was fresh in my mind).

When I make it again I will make two changes:
  1. I will use a significantly smaller size. I cut a 16 based on my measurements (and this is why you should always make a muslin, of course, I didn't) and I have a LOT of extra width, which bunches up under the arms. I realize that with the drop shoulders this is going to happen regardless, but I just feel that it is a bit too much. The neck is also a touch big, so I think I might go down as far as a 12 for a second version.
  2. I will eliminate some of the fullness in the back and contour the side seams more. Right now, the shirt cannot be worn unless it is belted or tucked in...although if I get pregnant this will be my "go to" (banish the thought, I'm too old and my eggs are expired). Not that this is necessarily a problem, I have lots of shirts I only wear tucked in...but if I were to make the tunic length it would be intended to be worn out...not tucked. And right now the fullness is fine for the dress or for the shirt, because either of those would be tucked in or belted.
Overall, a nice addition to the wardrobe for the summer...not to mention, I used fabric as well as buttons from stash...Yay for not buying more stuff!

12 comments:

Gail said...

Super nice shirt. It is such a flattering style and is beautifully made.

gwensews said...

Nice blouse. It's similar to a "poet blouse". Thanks for the review. Your alterations will fine-tune the fit of the next one. I love the sleeves, and they are longer than they appear on the illustration.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This looks fantastic on you! What a great white shirt!

Unknown said...

So pretty, Michelle! I'd love to make my sister some tops, but she is rather *ahem* "well-endowed". Do you think this would be something I could make, and send off to Utah, knowing that it will most likely fit her? I love that you made it in white!

Michelle said...

I'm positive that you could do that, Kristine. There is probably 20 inches of ease around the chest in that shirt, all you need is her bust measurement and you are good to go. If she has any kind of belly at all, that will also be fine. Check Trudy's video on the website, she is wearing the shirt unbelted there. I would consider making the shirt just a smidge longer if she wants to wear it untucked...like 2 inches would do it.

Audrey said...

I have been considering making a similar blouse pattern and was wondering how to wear it. I think it looks wonderful on you belted over a slim skirt. Very casual chic.

Amy Bailes said...

Sooo jealous of your fabulous white shirt!

Irene said...

What a wonderful shirt! Looks great belted.

Kim said...

So glad to see this made up! I love this on you. I've been considering this pattern for a long time.

Linda T said...

Looks nice and cool to me (coming from 100 degree days already).

Jen said...

I really like this top. It looks very nice belted. What a fantastic add to a summer wardrobe.

Omega said...

I really like this blouse, it looks really looks nice on you!