Saturday, June 18, 2011

Another Summer Tunic, Simplicity 2365

It seems that tunics are kind of my "thing" this summer. I have already completed two others, and this weekend I finished up a version of Simplicity 2365, a tunic with shoulder princess seams and a pintucked bodice. 2365 is very similar to Simplicity 3786, except 2635 has a center back seam. I had initially purchased 3786, but noticed the lack of shaping to the back and reconsidered.


Simplicity 2365 is one of those patterns that suffer from some really unattractive pattern art...which seems to obscure the fairly nice lines of the pattern (not the one with the belt, that one is awful). Sometimes the line drawings can be so frumpy...Kwik Sew is guilty of this, too. I pass them over all the time for being old fashioned...until I see a review on PR that looks fabulous and I have to go back and reconsider.

Fortunately for me and my tunic obsession, it also seems that tunics are popular in RTW this season. For example, I found one with similar pintucks on Bluefly.com:


Bright colors and florals are certainly in right now:


Given that, I felt fairly confident that the tunic that I was making would not be off-trend for the season:


I used a floral printed dotted swiss, in shades of pink and white:


I used the sleeve option with the button tab that would hold them when they were rolled up. My grandma loved these kinds of sleeves. Think I will immediately start tucking kleenex up my sleeves and complaining about being cold?


I also used french seams throughout so that it would look cleaner when the sleeves were rolled up and also so a serged seam would not show through the light-weight fabric. I even managed a french seam on the armscye...something that I hadn't attempted before. Starting with that skinny seam allowance actually made easing the sleeve cap a lot easier, I may just start doing this all the time:


I ordered a couple more lawns from the recent sale on cottons at Fashion Fabrics Club, one could be a ringer for the navy and white Anthropologie tunic pictured above. Hopefully I'll get a few more summer shirts out of the way before it gets too hot. I also have been working on some alterations to the Hot Patterns Summer in the City shirt...stay tuned...it is massively different than the first version! I also need to put together a few pairs of drawstring pants to slouch around in...so I'll have quite a bit of sewing on my plate the next few weeks.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

I love your tunic , this pattern looks like one not to miss out on .

Melody said...

I made that shirt last summer and wear it at least once a week. In pink, not all that different from yours.

L said...

Thanks for doing a review of S2365. I recently purchased this pattern because of the CB seam, too. Now I have yet another pattern to add to my ever-increasing list!

dfr2010 said...

Pretty pink floral fabric! I agree, it does seem like tunics are "in" again this summer and as a tunic-lover I couldn't be happier about that.

Linda T said...

Love your pink and white. I'm a sucker for pintucks! Beautiful job on the french seams.

Sarah C said...

Great job! I love the fabric. I just pulled this pattern out of my stash the other day and was considering it, but I opted not just yet. Now, I think I may have to reconsider it!

Big in Japan said...

I'm down with the tunics too. In the past I was not a fan, but given a little shape or some interesting details (like yours), I think they can look good and be quite flattering. Your fabric looks so light and comfy.

Gail said...

Now that is nice! I love voile or voile like tunics and this is no exception. I also love the colourful inspiration tunic with the black trim.

Sue said...

Sweet tunic - love your fabric choice.

Eugenia said...

That's a beautiful tunic. The fabric is so fresh and pretty looking and the pintucks are lovely!

gwensews said...

I like that tunic, too. I have made it, and want another. it is comfortable and cool, made in a lightweight fabric.