Saturday, June 25, 2011

Finding and Following RTW Trends

Normally when I am purchasing fabric and planning projects, I make an attempt to locate something similar through snoop shopping some of my favorite RTW locations. One of the reasons that I do this is because if your goal is to make something that is current, fashionable, and cannot be readily identified as handmade...it is important to make sure that you are following current trends. Some of the things that I look for in snoop shopping are:
  1. Fabric type
  2. Colors and prints
  3. Details like buttons and embellishments
For example, patterns often make recommendations for buttons that are much larger than what you typically see in RTW clothing. Also, fabric stores do not necessarily carry all the current trends/prints in fabrics. When I deviate from following the "rules," I find that I start to cross the line into "Becky Home-Ecky," as Michael Kors says on Project Runway.

My most recent project is one of the best examples I have put together lately of following the RTW trends.

Earlier in spring, I had saved to my "inspiration" folder the following shirt that I had seen on the Anthropologie website:


Then...I found some really nice cotton lawn on the FFC website:


Combine this with Hot Patterns 1043, the Vintage HotPatterns Boho Deluxe Peasant Top:


And....voila! My Anthropologie knockoff!


Unlike the newer Hot Patterns, this one has un-illustrated instructions that are separate from the rest of the pattern sheets. Even though, I found the top to be easy to put together. It is a simple raglan sleeve top, just like one of a million I have put together before. There are two options for necklines, a flat neck band with the shirt gathered onto it, or a casing with gathering. I opted for the flat neck band since it looked a little more finished to me. Be sure to make yourself a "tag," otherwise you can't really tell the front from the back!


I got impatient sewing it...and when I didn't have the right color thread, rather than wait for a trip to the fabric store I just used white thread. I think it looks fine:


As always with new Hot Patterns, I always sew a muslin. There is nothing really to show here, other than my proof that I am actually SEWING FROM STASH!


The only thing I learned from the muslin was that I needed to contour the side seams more, and shorten the top by 2 inches. It's actually pretty handy using a plaid for muslins because the grid helped me move the alterations from the top to the pattern...you always have a line or some other marker that you can measure to or from. Oh, I also learned that I am too damn old for tiny puff sleeves. No worries, though, the shirt will not go unloved...a co-worker has already laid claim to it!

Happy Snoop Shopping, All!


Add Image

11 comments:

Jane M said...

I'm about to head out to do some snoop shoping today. I'm curious about how this new tunic style will look on my body and snoop shopping is a great way to test silouettes and fabrics before sing that precious sewing time. Your top looks chic and summer cool.

Unknown said...

Cute top! I an alwaysvworried about that homemade look, too. Your advice is spot-on!

Irene said...

Lovely, lovely top!
I now opt for snoop shopping on the internet - much easier on the feet.

Audrey said...

Great knock off blouse. I agree that finding fabrics that look like an inspiration garment's can be the most difficult part of making a knockoff. But it is a great excuse to browse internet fabric sources.

Linda T said...

A great knockoff! Fabric, print, style.

KID, MD said...

Great snoop shopping tips! I really need to pay more attention to detail.
I really love this tunic and even your muslin is adorable.

Anonymous said...

I am still in awe that you can do this! I am so terrifed of looking "Becky Home-Ecky."

Gail said...

Love both your tops for summer. If you want an exact knockoff, there is a great New Look pattern that I've used and Eugenia too.

Texan said...

I recently purchased this pattern as well! Plus a couple others from them. :O)

After reading your profile, I will add in that I also installed a new kitchen faucet this weekend! :O)

HeathersSphere said...

Wow! Your Anthropologie knockoff is enviably gorgeous!

Linda T said...

Have missed you and your adventures. Hope all is OK in your neck of the woods!