Thursday, July 30, 2009

And the no-sewing stretch continues....

I haven't really been working on much, you know, since I am diseased. Mostly just tracing patterns and making plans. I don't want to do any fitting because I am covered with medicated cream, and I don't want to get that on any of the clothes that I am working on.

Unfortunately, being isolated doesn't keep me from shopping online. So I have a couple of things coming from Fabric.com, among them this satin twill:


If it is anything like the silk twill that I got from FFC last year, it will have a really nice drape, with the added advantage of being machine washable. I was too slow to catch the plum color, but there was still plenty of black, as well as an acid-green chartreuse. Which I didn't buy. Surprising, I know.

Anyway, these are my plans....and there is great opportunity for failure here, but hopefully it will work out.

You may remember that recently I made McCall 5809 in a white eyelet with a batiste underlining. That shirt has been worn nearly to death. Once I got the issues with the back fit figured out, it turned out to be a really great shirt:


And here it is "in action," so to speak:

So my plans are, I am going to lengthen that peplum to a full skirt, about the length of my favorite wrap dresses for a super-duper awesome dress from that black satin twill.

Fortunately I have some additional lengths of fabric coming because in the mail today I got a lot of 19 vintage patterns that I won on Ebay. They are all 1940's and 1950's, and they are larger sizes! Some are as big as size 20, which is awesome! It means that my alterations won't be so drastic.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're making the most of your "down time", and I absolutely *love* those vintage patterns!

Kim said...

I bought the same twill in both the black and plum. I got the plum but they gave me something else in lieu of the black. It's like a stretch twill or something. The black is on the way though! The plum is awesome!

Michelle said...

The black twill turned out to be really nice, and wash up really well. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with it...the little twill-y diagonals are really prominent, so I don't know if I want to use those as a design element, make chevrons and such, or just ignore them.