Below are some of my ideas, I spent most of the day today tracing off patterns and even started a muslin for the vintage pattern.
For the persistent magenta sateen that has variously been slated to become a coat, a ruffle-neck dress, and goodness knows what else...is now being considered for a vintage dress:

Today I traced it, and made alterations. Because it is a vintage 18, I needed about 4 more inches in the bust, and also in the hips (I want to make the straight skirt version), I have the muslin cut out and all the markings transferred, hopefully I can baste it together tomorrow and see how the fit is.
I also have a length of deep purple cotton that may end up this Burda pattern:

Because the dress in the pattern image is white, it's hard to see the details, so here is the line drawing:
I really like the shape of the collar and the princess seams on the top, but am a little iffy about that dropped waist. We shall see. The fabric for it cost a grand total of $8.00, so it's not any great loss if it looks bad. I will probably leave off the boob-pockets, though. No better way to call attention to a large bustline than to perch two tiny, pleated pockets on the girls.Finally I have a lightweight khaki twill that may inspire me to get on board with this safari-thing that Burda has going on (seriously, is there not SOME safari dress in every single issue of the magazine??). I traced this Burda pattern:
I like the shape of the dress, and I even "get" the shoulder flap thing, but I think the buttoned epaulets may be a tad much. I may edit some of the details and find some happy medium between the two versions:
In other sewing news, I finished the other tire-print shirt for my littlest nephew, except I switched out the snake print with flames:
I then got a call from my brother asking me when I am going to start making them for grown-ups, i.e., HIM! So, now I have to measure him tomorrow so I can make a shirt for him, too. I told him I was making it with pin-up girl print, and he was pretty much ok with that.
5 comments:
I love that vintage pattern - I can't wait to see how it comes out!
Looks like you're gonna be a busy girl! Looking forward to seeing your progress with the vintage pattern!
That is a FANTASTIC vintage. Can't wait to see the dress! I played with a vintage (tracing and a muslin of the bodice) yesterday that has a waistline. It's been SOOO long since I wore a dress with a waistline, it feels "funny." Anyhow, the alterations seemed to work. Don't know when I'll get around to making the dress. I seemed to be obcessed with just making muslins of the vintage patterns these days!
Lately I too have been wanting dresses. I really like the safari and plan to make a khaki shirt dress in the fugure
Michelle is the first Burda pattern from the catalogue or in the WOF mag? Cause I love the seamlines in it! And I hope the muslin works for the vintage pattern because you will look amazing in that!
Post a Comment