Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vogue 1127 Jacket: Finished!

I finished the Vogue 1127 jacket, and am ready to move on to the skirt and shell. The jacket itself was not a difficult project, although I did make some changes to it. For example, the pattern as originally drafted, instructed you to only line the sleeves. First, I thought this odd for a Vogue designer pattern, but because I was using a fairly loosely-woven boucle, I knew I wanted a full lining.

To draft the lining, I just used the jacket pattern pieces, minus the facing, and plus seam allowances. I just sewed it according to the same instructions as the jacket shell, and then attached it to the front facing. I had a bit of a problem finding an appropriate color lining, but finally settled on this yellow:


Here is the finished jacket:


I found two issues with the jacket. The overall length is very short, and the sleeves are very wide and long. The sleeves ended up needing a 2 1/4 inch hem, and are still rather wide, but I left it that way in case I wanted to wear a sweater underneath the jacket.

The length is an interesting issue. It is difficult to see the length in the photo, as the model is hunching over:


And of course there is no scale on the line drawing, although the skirt image does include a dotted line indicating the waist:


I purchased these copper colored buttons for the jacket:


But upon doing a few test buttonholes on scraps, found that I was not happy with the results. The mechanical buttonholer had problems moving the thick fabric around, and my handmade buttonholes are a disgrace. So, I scrapped the buttonholes, sewed the buttons on the outside of the jacket, and added snaps:


If I ever get better at handworked buttonholes, I can always cut off the snaps and redo everything. But for now, I just want to wear the darn jacket!

9 comments:

KID, MD said...

It looks great!! Nice work.

Omega said...

Your jacket looks great, I love the fabric. Can't wait to see it with the skirt.

becki-c said...

Love the color! I love what you did with those buttons too! Thanks for the heads up on the length, I guess that is just the style even though it doesn't really look good on so many people.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Michelle - When I made the jacket I added three inches to the length. I could tell when I was taking the pattern pieces out of the envelope that it would be rather short. I love your solution to the lining choice. Can't wait to see the skirt and the entire outfit together!

gwensews said...

Nice jacket! I always put a 2" hem in my jacket hem and sleeve hem. That is a good tailoring technique to allow some weight in the hems.

okie2thfairy said...

Good to know about the jacket. I too was going to make it. The sleeves in the photo appear to be normal in size but wow, what a surprise. I'm glad you came up with a way to solve the BH issue. Great job!

Mary Nanna said...

Beautiful colour choices - i love the copper and the blue with the yellow "surprise" lining.

Are you happy with how it looks on? (apart from the issue of it being a short style jacket0.

Great solution with the buttonholes. I hate the way my machine gets stuck on thick fabric. I end up with all sorts of nasties hiding beneath the buttons.

amber said...

Beautiful! I particularly love the collar on it.

Silknmore said...

What a lovely coat - the color is fabulous and the lining really sets it off.
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/