Sunday, August 22, 2010

Burda August....Finally Here!

Since the magazine FINALLY arrived, this weekend I finished BurdaStyle 8.2010.140, a shirred dress with cross-over front. I decided to use the animal print knit I had for that rather than use it for another version of the Muse dress. The Muse dress is great, but so distinctive I don't think I really need more than one. So, I used the knit for the Burda dress instead.

I have to say that I am a touch on the fence about this dress. I made some changes because the original was, as is always the case with Burda, rather revealing. Here is the image on the model:

The first thing that I did was raise the neckline. As you can see on the dress, the cross-over falls under the bust:

Does anyone else feel like slinging that neckline under a very large bust just looks....questionable? To me, it just looks like "the girls" are trying to escape. I changed it so the crossover actually comes up over the bust, making for a much less revealing front:


I also changed the finish on the edge of the neckline from a facing, which I was afraid would "flip out," to a binding. I stretched the binding as I was attaching it so the neckline wouldn't gape. I also used a slightly beefier doubleknit..which I thought would be better at hiding the "hail damage."

Here is the finished dress (with head chopped off because while I could bring myself to wriggle into the spanx on a Sunday, I couldn't bring myself to fix my hair):


Overall, the shape is nice, and it is comfortable, but can you see one of the issues? If you look at the model photo:


You can see that the shirring/draping makes a series of U-shapes, my dress does this, too...but what happens on mine is it makes the front skirt drop slightly:

I don't know if this can be fixed by more artfully arranging the shirring, or if I should go back and try and hem the front shorter....I am torn as to whether it even matters or not. You can also see something else in this photo, and that is the nice shaping in the back. The back is sewn with princess seams:


The center back seam is very nicely contoured, and the fit was great for someone with a backside like mine.

The arranging of the gathering was a bit of a pain. I ended up laying the whole thing out on the floor pinning, basting, and gathering. The first attempt I ended up with some weird bunching in the armpits and ended up taking the basting out and redoing it with the gathering pushed slightly lower, and taking in the front width slightly. I have to be honest, I don't know if this is an issue with the Burda draft, or the result of my raising the neckline. I am leaning towards it being a result of my tinkering, since Burda is normally drafted much better than the Big 4 patterns.

However, in the end I think I will wear this for a while before I make a final decision....it is so different from anything I normally wear, I don't know how much of my "meh" feeling about the dress is maybe just because it is so very different from anything I normally wear.

Making a long-sleeved dress did make me want to get started on some fall sewing, though. To that end, I cut out a trench coat for fall:


I am always a complete disaster when it comes to coats, so for the shell I got a dark grey cotton/poly twill. If the poly doesn't keep me from making a mess out of it the next time I manage to say, spill a coffee down the front of me, hopefully the fact that I bought it in the same color as most of the stains I get on myself will help hide my clumsiness.

I also bought some chocolate brown small-wale corduroy to make another version of the Hot Patterns coat dress:


I have never sewn with corduroy before, so we'll see how much of a bumble I make of this!

I hope everyone else had a productive weekend! I will probably be slowing down a bit on my productivity now that the semester has started. I am teaching TWO undergraduate classes this semester...not the most fantastic idea I have ever had, but I'll muddle through!

14 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

I like your dress. The princess seams in the back is a great idea, makes fitting much easier.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

First good luck with the teaching this fall! Second, I understand why you feel meh about the dress. Every time I make a new style I have that same feeling then after letting it sit for awhile, I feel better about it...hopefully you will too!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I saw and liked that style but the ruching did have me concerned. Glad to see your version...I think I'll pass. I do love your fabric. I like your idea of the crossover coming over the bust rather than under.

Mary Nanna said...

Great job on the dress - you did some very clever adjustments to get it to sit nicely through the bust.

I had the same problem with the weight of gathering pulling the front hem down in a top I made a while back. I couldn't think of a solution since side gathering naturally creates a weighty piece of fabric so i just accepted it. It's not noticeable anyway - to other people - the seamstress who made it of course, notices EVERYTHING.

SewRuthie said...

Great dress! You sew such fresh pieces and look wonderful wearing them.

Karin said...

I think the dress looks great. I can't see the problem with the shirring that you are trying to point out. It all looks good to me! It looks comfortable without being frumpy- the holy grail as far as I am concerned! :) I like the subtle print on your fabric as well.

KID, MD said...

Very sexy!! It looks great on you. Your neckline is much better than burda's. I love wrap tops, but they do have that tendency toward overexposure.
I love those fabrics you are using for the trench. Very fun!

Eugenia said...

I really like the way you have adjusted the neckline on the Burda dress - Burda seem to be obsessed with what they call 'plunging' necklines. I think that you have done a great job getting the ruching to look flattering - ruching can be so tricky!
I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with your trench - I'd love to make one sometime in the future - RTW trenches NEVER seem to fit me right - they don't seem to make them for curvy ladies!

Nancy K said...

I'd rehem the front to make it even, other than that you've convinced me to make this for myself but maybe as a top. It's looks good on you, but I'd really hem it a little shorter regardless of the uneven hem. I think that the proportions may make you feel better about it. I like your change at the neck. I don't like crossovers that go under the bust either.
The big thing to remember about sewing with corduroy is when you press it use a needle board or a towel or a large scrap of the fabric under the garment when you press it.

Unknown said...

Cute dress, I love the print! I think it's great just the way it is, but if it bugs you and you'll wear it more, then it's worth the time to fix. Looking forward to catching up on our chats this week!

Sheila said...

Lovely dress and like NK suggested hem the front level with the back, because you would subconsciously keep tugging on the back while wearing it.

Please don't make the same mistake I did working with corduroy. Some how I cut the front & back pattern pieces in different directions and the front was darker than the back.

patsijean said...

Were I to make this dress ( can use some of that nice shaping in the back) I would adjust the neckline as you have done, and I would measure just how much extra length is in the front and if it is excessive take some length out. It looks as if there is actually more length than the line drawing suggests. That length and the weight has to go somewhere and gravity says "down." Like Nancy K says, hem the front. The fabric is beautiful and your binding is much better than their suggest facing.

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you for your vote of confidence for me on the Lady Gray coat. I am sure going to give it my best shot.

EmilyKate said...

You are looking darn cute in your dress! I bet you will get lots of compliments. I know what you mean about wearing styles you are not used to. But I think this is definitely a win for you.