
Also, isn't it funny how sometimes photos will show you things that looking in the mirror does not? For example....this photo shows me that I need to topstitch that center back seam down, because the seam allowance is rolling around under the dress and making my butt look lumpy:

Ok, Ok, lumpi-ER. Thank god for Spanx!!
Posted 8/15/10:
This weekend I worked on Butterick 5522, a shift dress by Muse that was released for this fall:
I don't know if you recognize the dress or not, but if you are a reality TV junkie like me, you know that Tabatha Coffey wore one on her show, "Salon Take-over."
Now granted, Tabatha is about half my size, but Muse did offer the dress in plus-sizes as well:

Wow, that's really short, huh? When the pattern was drafted for Butterick, they did lengthen it slightly...thank goodness.
While the dress itself is pretty simple, the sleeves are a lot of work:

The pattern pieces for the sleeve parts only have notches on the "sides" of the U-shaped pieces. However, I also marked the center bottoms, otherwise it made it really difficult to distribute the ease through the curves of the U.

I also suspect that my fabric has more stretch than what was intended for the pattern, so I stretched the neck binding a bit as I was applying it. I ended up taking up about 5 inches of length that way:

I also eliminated the zipper at the back of the neck. I don't like an exposed zipper, and the neckline is large enough that there is no need to have the zipper to get it over my head. So, I just sewed the back right up. I also sewed the sleeves in flat rather than in the round, which made construction a lot simpler.
Now, for the alterations. I started with a size 20, and graded out to a 22 at the hips since that is what coincided with my measurements. What I ended up with was a potato sack with fancy sleeves. Also, a very, very A-line potato sack. So, I took in the waist at both the side seams and the center back seam, and then tapered the bottom a touch. Here are the changes that I made to the pattern pieces:

The changes to the back pattern piece were even more significant:

Fortunately, the back is not cut on the fold, so the center back seam can be contoured. And here is the final product:

And the sleeve:

And here you can see the contour that I added to the back:

In the end, what looked like a very simple pattern ended up being quite a bit of work. Because of that...I feel like I need to make it again, now that I have the fit fine tuned! Fortunately, I have another knit in the stash:

I was thinking about using this for the main part of the dress, and using what I have left of the black knit from the dress today for the insets in the sleeves. Or....I could use this fabric to make a dress from the plus section of the most recent Burda:
I love this dress!! But, would it be too "va-va-va-voom" for work? So, I will think about it. In the meantime, I bought some brown fine-wale corduroy to make another version of the Hot Patterns coat dress since fall is just around the corner.
28 comments:
Wow! Can I say it again...Wow! What a wonderful job you did on this dress! Will we get to see a pic of it on you?
Great job on the dress. Close fitting is the pattern description. Obviously not accurate! I look forward to seeing it on you.
You did a wonderful job on this dress. As soon as I saw this pattern, I knew I had to have it (I don't have it yet). It reminds me so much of my HS and college days of the late 60's early 70's. Thanks for the heads up on the sleeve markings and the "potato sackness" of the dress. Can't wait to see you modeling it!
It seems a lot of people are excited about this pattern, but yours is the first I've seen completed. Excellent job on the sleeves, they look like they could be tricky.
That is a wonderful dress!
I love that dress! I'm sure it is striking on you. That pattern is on my to-get list, just for the sleeves. The sleeves may go onto another bodice, although I like an A-line dress, anyway. Nice work.
I want to see you with it on!
Wow! You nailed it, love it.
Awesome!! Beautiful work.
I've been going back and forth on this pattern since I first saw it but now seeing your dress, I have to have it!
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!
Great job on a tricky pattern. I really want to make this dress.
omg, Michelle! I LOVE that dress!! Killer chic! I never saw it on TV but I am completely nuts over it.
Wow!! Your dress looks so amazing. The funny thing is I have just this minute opened my mail and this pattern (ordered last week) had arrived. I hope my dress looks as fabulous as yours when I get around to it. Thanks so much for all the helpful tips and information about making this pattern.
Yours looks great! And I think it is really flattering on you as well.
Great dress!! I had not given this pattern a second look but now I will reconsider. Thanks for the tips.
It looks great!! Those sleeves are so fun. I love that burda wrap dress! It is pretty va-va-voom, but I think that's mostly the result of the burda cleavage... With a realistic neckline I think it would be great for work. But then, I love a wrap dress.
Fabulous work!
It fits you soooooo well! Great job!! Love the Burda dress, too! I don't think it's to "va-va-voom"... hmmm... is the neckline too low... is that why?
Fabulous dress! The sleeves do look difficult to sew but yours look perfect.
Okay, seeing it on you causes me to absolutely KNOW that I must have that dress! I love it. Looks fantastic on you.
Okay that dress is making your butt look lumpy and I know you don't want that so you can just ship it to me...I wouldn't mind my butt looking lumpy in that dress!
That dress looks fabulous on you and remembered when tabitha wore it.
I love your dress. You did a wonderful job!
It is wonderful!
Don't know how I missed this, but now that I've seen it - wow!! This dress looks FAB on you.
Love this dress on you. It was well worth the extra work.
Wow, I love it! This one is on my list to make. I really love everything I've seen since I started following your blog. You have great taste!
Post a Comment