Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lots to Report!

My time away really made me miss the sewing room, so I have been fantastically productive the past week (not always in positive ways....fantastically productive, with plenty of mistakes!!). Yesterday I completed the third item that I worked on over the break and I finished Simplicity 2403, a shirtwaist dress with fitted skirt:


Initially, I was going to use the striped shirting in the photo, but decided instead to do the two-tone version...I blame Eugenia, she made a gorgeous version just before I started mine that most DEFINITELY influenced my decision:


I used a stretch pinstripe suiting for the skirt, and a stretch sateen for the top. I made a couple of mistakes, but don't tell anyone...For one, I reversed the pleats in one of the sleeve, ner:


Ooops! I'll just ignore it and wear it anyway. Some nice touches include gathers below the back yoke:


An invisible zipper (does anyone besides me agonize over what color to make the zipper when you are using two fabrics? I finally settled on white):


Puffed sleeves:



And front pleats and pockets:


Normally I find Simplicity patterns to have an excess of ease...often cutting 2 or even 3 sizes smaller than my measurements would indicate. However, I found the fit on this one to be excellent. Based on my measurements, I cut a size 20. I then did flat pattern measurements and made some minor alterations based on that, including NOT cutting the back skirt piece on a fold, and giving it more of a contour at the waist using that center back seam that I added. Surprisingly, even the sleeves fit my chubby baby arms with no alterations (this NEVER happens). Here is the final product:


BTW, that pocket is TINY. And I have small hands. If you want them to be usable, you should enlarge them. Also, for someone with a bottom-heavy shape like mine you would think that front pleats AND pockets would be a terrible idea, but with the raised waist it looks quite nice:


Here is a view from the back, that I altered so that it was not cut on the fold. My bottom is bigger than what was anticipated for the pattern, so I added some more shape to the top. However, if I make this again, I will add more room to the back at hip level, as the side seams pull slightly to the back yet. However, the fit is otherwise good and I will certainly wear the dress regardless. Plus, if I am going to do a center back seam, I'll give it a kick-pleat:


The first item that I made last weekend was something simple, Vogue 8647. I was initially going to use a pink t-shirt knit from the stash:


Unfortunately, when I laid it out to cut, there was a hole in it that I couldn't work around. I'll have to use it with something with a number of smaller pieces, rather than just the two huge pieces in this pattern. I ended up using a grey ITY that I had instead:


The pleats at the shoulder are a nice touch, and the construction is incredibly simple since the armholes and neck are just folded over and stitched. No facings. The neck is very broad, though, and I had problems hemming the "point" of the vee neck. It ended up more of a scoop neck, thanks to my fiddling:


The dress is incredibly simple, although makes a good base to dress up for work:


It is essentially completely shapeless though...so I wore it with a belt. Except....I was wearing it Monday, sans belt, while I got my breakfast ready. My husband walked through the kitchen and says "Oohhh...sexy." Seriously, J? It's a grey sack. Either J needs his eyes checked, or perhaps my grey sack has some fantastic trait that I am unaware of.

The second project I finished was a gift for my niece's birthday. When my last batch of Hot Patterns arrived, she fell in love with the Classix Nouveaux Pyramid Bag.


I agreed to make her one, and her birthday is August 19th, so I needed to finish it up. She decided she wanted it made from white "leather" (vinyl, a complete PITA to sew. Never, never, never again) and I used a leopard print for the lining:


I also managed to put the zipper in sideways, so it goes across the top of the bag rather than from handle to handle. I guess some days it actually pays to read the instructions:


Regardless of the sideways zipper, Sadie will love it. It is huge, has animal print, is a little shiny, and kinda tacky. Therefore, it meets all her requirements for fashion.

Finally, I made a cat bed. It didn't require any sewing though. I have a cat who loves to lie in the laundry basket. His most favorite thing in the world is to "re-hair" all the clean clothes. So...I tricked him. I filled a laundry basket with fabric scraps:


He has been sleeping in it for days! And has completely left the clean laundry alone. Sucker!

28 comments:

Melody said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the black and white dress! It fits like a dream! Just last night I had that same pattern out trying to decide if the fabric I'd chosen would be too frumpy. I figured I'll make two last summer garments and then it's on to fall clothing. I think I'll go ahead with it though. Thanks for the inspiration!
I have the same problem with all Simplicity patterns, so thanks for the tip on this one.

Toocutedobs said...

Absolutely awesome projects! The dress looks great on you and you are very talented. I understand what you mean aout the "We love shiny objects" view of Sadie. I want to get back to sewing but have to finish this volunteer project first--boohoo!

SewLindaAnn said...

Amazing work. I love looking and reading here, you are so inspiring for me.

Unknown said...

as soon as your cat reads this he will be back in the clean clothes (oh and cats DO read blogs)! Love the two tone dress!

amber said...

*Love the mock two-piece dress - so classy.
* The grey dress looks really comfy and easy to just throw on and go. Love stuff like that.
* The commentary re: the purse is hilarious. I'm sure she'll love it.
* Tricking your cat=genius

Shannon said...

Love the new dresses, especially the first one (I'm a sucker for the two tone dresses that look like a separate top and skirt).

Rebecca said...

I am inspired! I love your Simplicity dress. It is very flattering on you.

Eugenia said...

Well, I'm certainly prepared to take some blame for your fabric decisions for the Simplicity dress - it looks FABULOUS so if I can say that I have played any small part in the creation of this dress I am more than happy!! This is such a good style on you - you look very chic and elegant in it. A white bodice with a pinstripe skirt is such a beautiful look (if I hadn't already made two of these dresses I'd shamelessly be making one exactly like yours right now!).

I also love your Vogue knit dress - a simple style like this, in a neutral grey, can be dressed up with accessories in so many different ways - it's a great wardrobe basic.

Big in Japan said...

Wow! You've made a dress that solves the "shirt always comes untucked" problem. Well done. Ditto for the cat bed!

Connie said...

You have been working like crazy! Love it all, especially the first dress.

Anonymous said...

Love that Simplicity dress - I have that pattern, and it's moving up my list! It looks great on you. I find the project runway patterns are much more realistically sized than the other Simplicities - I've pretty much cut the size it says.

Angela said...

Ooo... great dresses and purse!

Mary Nanna said...

Nice work! I love the bag - forgot your niece, do a giveaway!

The dress looks great on you and how lucky you only had to do minor alterations?

Faye Lewis said...

Your dress is so very cute.

KID, MD said...

Wowee! You have been busy sewing up some amazing things!! I can't wait to get my body back so that I can make that Simplicity dress. Between you and Eugenia I am totally sold! I admit that I love the bag as well - perhaps I have a bit of the tacky in me... The Vogue dress has a Grecian feel that I think is very elegant. All in all, NICE!

Linda T said...

Wow, you have really been busy!! the white/black dress is wonderful! and it looks so good on you. The knit dress looks really comfy and you are right in that is a good basic. I hadn't seen the HP purse pattern. Don't know where I've been....may have to get that pattern! Not lots of mojo here right now--just too hot to think about anything!

Unknown said...

Damn, woman! You're a maniac!!! Nice work, everything looks awesome! My favorite is that bag... you know, my birthday is mid-January, if you were wondering... ;)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm loving the black and white simplicity dress too! It is so classy on you.

Glad you were able to make your niece the bag that she wanted even if you had to sew through vinyl to get it!

gwensews said...

Your blackwhite dress is awesome. Looks great on you. And that bag--wow! I want one.

SewRuthie said...

Whilst I love the dresses, I am very impressed by the ingenuity in tricking the cat :-) Rgds Ruthie

Kathy said...

Wow, you do fantastic work! Love everything. I agree with you on the white zip over the black one. cute kitty!!

Gail said...

Gosh you've been productive. I absolutely love the Simplicity black and white dress. It is beautifully made.

HeathersSphere said...

I adore this sleek looking dress on you Michelle! You inspired me to take this pattern out from my stash. As always from, superb sewing!

LisaB said...

Great post, but I admit that I especially liked tricking the cat!

Omega said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Omega said...

WOW! Lots of awesome projects. I like them all your've been really busy. I especially like the white & pinstriped black dress.

Sam said...

I wonder if you might be able to help me? I’m a beginning sewer and have gotten stumped around the gathering step and the attachment of the yolk to the bodice back for Simplicity 2403. The bodice back extends 1 1/4″ longer on each side than the yoke. As they are straight lines, I’m having a very difficult time pinning the two pieces together without excessive bunching. The gathering seems straightforward to me as it brings the markers of the yolk and bodice back in line with each other, so I don’t think the problem is there.

Is it just excessive pinning like the step where you put the bodice front and side together to create the bust allowance? I don’t think this is it as there was a generous curve to work with on that piece while the yolk and back are relatively straight lines. Your yolk looks perfectly flush so I am even more perplexed. I also double checked to make sure I cut the right size of the two pieces, and I did. The yolk matches the front perfect. Any ideas?

Michelle said...

Hi Sam: I'm not sure I am understanding the issue...the center of the back of the dress is gathered where it meets the yoke...so when you say you can't get it to fit without excessive bunching....well, you shouldn't be able to. Because you have to gather it. Look at the photo of the back of the dress, you can see the gathering at center back. You don't ease it, you gather it.