
Seriously, it was like the surface of the sun in Austin! Yes, that is the dashboard of my car....in front of my friend Michelle's house! I nearly vaporized the first day. But, we had a fantastic time, it was wonderful to see my friends....AND....I got to catch up with a friend that I had excavated with in Syria and hadn't seen for WELL over 10 years.
One of the great things about catching up with my friend Sharon is that it reminded me what an amazing experience spending so much time overseas was. But also reminded me of everything that I left when I walked away from teaching full-time. We even compared notes on being "bitter adjuncts."
I talk every now and then about archaeology and my "past life," but thought that I would explain more fully. In 2003, I earned my PhD in Anthropology, specializing in zooarchaeology in the Near East. I worked for over a decade conducting research in Syria, Turkey, Morocco, and Egypt. In 2004, I ended my search for a tenure-track position and permanently became a university administrator.
Why, you might ask?
While I was searching for a permanent teaching position, I became very disappointed. I was invited to give a few job talks, search committees were requesting my references, but I was getting no offers. A close friend of mine that had contacts at one of the universities where I had interviewed made a few calls...asking if they would be willing to provide feedback, that if I was doing something that was turning these search committees in another direction, what was it, so that I could rectify it.
The answer was both unexpected and also completely reasonable. The friend reported back that the committee had liked my experience, were impressed by my publication record, and felt that my teaching experience was extensive, but....I had no active research. The expectation was that if someone I were hired as a professor, that I should be able to take students with me into the field...and because all my experience, all my contacts, all my sites were in the Near East, that meant that I had no active research. So, the committee moved on to the next candidate.
I was devastated. The reason that I had no active research was because our country had gone to war with Iraq...therefore, all my excavation sites were closed to me. I couldn't understand how I had spent so many years working towards this, and just at the time that I was ready to take my PhD to work...an administration that I did not support instigated a war that I opposed (I don't often talk about politics here, as I have blog friends that fall all over the political spectrum, but my politics played heavily into my feelings about my predicament...although please do not take this as a condemnation of anyone's political leanings. It is just that my politics were key in my view of the situation).
Out of desperation (and a need to pay the bills), I went to work as a university administrator. I have worked in MBA admissions, grants and contracts, operations, and now I direct graduate advising at a large university here in St. Louis.
I have carved out a comfortable place for myself...I still teach at least one course per term, and as an adjunct, I only have to teach those things that interest me. I also put my academic background to work every day in the application of university policy and helping my students prepare themselves for graduate school.
I had always thought that I would only do this temporarily. That it was just a way of buying time until I was able to develop new research. I excavated one season in Macedonia...and just as I was ready to "get serious" about moving to a new research area....I found out that I had Hidradenitis Suppurativa, a fairly icky auto-immune disorder that causes large cysts to form in my armpits that can only be removed through surgery.
And while I am positive that doctors in other countries are just as capable of treating it as my doctors here....having a skin graft while overseas is not exactly on my "bucket list."
So...
Here I am. Here I remain. An adjunct and an administrator, making peace with my exit from traditional academics.
While seeing Sharon again made me miss excavating and researching so incredibly badly...it also made me understand that I really have made peace with my life. That I really like what I do. And that I enjoy being an adjunct, and most days I am happy that I am not running the "publish or perish" race but enjoy just being able to write what I want to write, and research what I want to research. Or not research anything at all.
But, enough of all this!! I promise the next post will be about sewing something!
11 comments:
I don't know about anybody else but I really appreciated that peek into the window of your life. Thanks. Now get to sewing!
Absolutely amazing life you have lead so far. It's not over yet and you may once again get to "dig" a little. I'm seriously jealous.
Thank you! It is always fascinating to hear about someone else's life, hopes and dreams.
Felt like I was reading one of our chat logs! You are an awesome lady, and I think there are still some different "adventures" awaiting you. Personally, my "bucket list" has a day of fabric shopping and lunch with you on it!
You are truly an amazing lady!
So smart and oh so strong, I hope that a dig open up to you soon.
I can't wait to see what you decide to sew next.
Wow, what an amazing life history you've had so far! Sorry things didn't work out, but it does sound like you have found contentment in your life, career. I've come to realize over my "life years" that few people have the luxury of having a career/job that they love so much that they would do it regardless of the pay. I never did have that job--I had jobs that I liked, but...... so, all that to say, I'm happy for you, and I'm happy that you have made peace with the situation! Now on to sewing.....one thing I do love, but don't get paid for......:>
I understand too well about life's twists and turns. I don't have a Ph.D, but I was well on my way to a master's and blah, blah, blah...a twist here, a twist there, and now I'm living in Chicago. Making peace with the way things turn out is hard and there's always that little twinge in your heart when you are reminded of life you were originally going for. I can't say I've made peace (I'm the type who tends to hate the word peace as I hate hell and all Montague's. lol), but I'm as close to peace as I'll ever be.
It sounds as though you've had some great adventures and are the type to crave adventure (me too). Just remember that it ain't over till it's over. :)
I read this and went away and thought and came back. You know Syria and Iraq are not the only places in the ME with plentiful archaeological sites that need archaeologists. There's Turkey too and in Turkey a lot of universities teach in English and the health services are very good. There is a mix of private and public service and you can choose which hospital to go to. I had a major op (a hysterectomy) in Turkey at Marmara University Hospital and the service was perfect and the fee for the operation and all equipment and a three-day stay in a private room came to about 2000 dollars. And the doctors can all speak English (and even one of the nurses). So, depending on how adventurous you feel - I wouldn't say you need to give up on excavations just yet....
Misafir
Oh, and if you are really cheap and picky, they'll LOVE you in Turkey. Bargaining is a sport, they have streets full of fabric shops and you can (even must) bargain for fabrics. (But you have to take your sewing machine bcs for some strange reason they're hellishly expensive there).
Misafir
Amazing background and Thanks for sharing. I was actually perspiring as I read your post after seeing the temp on your dashboard...lol
Thanks for the lovely compliment on my dresses. I was able to get my daughter to takes pics and have added them.
I have a phd in history and last year decided not to go up for tenure and to look at making a career in academic administration---so I found your story very inspiring!
Post a Comment