Monday, October 18, 2010

Five of Sixteen: I Think I Might Make It!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I might just make it through this swap! I finished piece 5, a second version of the HP Classix Nouveau 3 Graces T-Shirt. I love this pattern!



Per the pattern description: "Get yourself some Grecian goddess-style glamour with these fabulous T-shirts, designed for drapey knits...choose rayon, silk or bamboo knits for maximum fluidity. Semi-fitted T-shirts have a raised back neckline, gently shaped side seams and finish with a deep hem at the hip. Loop-front version has a narrow hemmed neckline which loops through the lower bodice, for a slightly square front neckline. Cowl neckline version has a cut-on facing; you can cut this version on the bias for even more drape. Cross-front version has a slightly cowled neckline (wrong side of fabric will show) and a cross-over wrapped front. Choose from 3 different sleeve options: sleeveless with a rib trimmed armhole; above the elbow with a deep rib cuff; or extra-long to scrunch as you wish! Wear these gorgeous T-shirts loose over dressy jeans with heels for a great casual evening look, or try them as a soft, modern blouse alternative under a strict suit jacket or a slouchy cardigan."


The knit I used is a rayon/lycra that is super-light so it drapes really nicely. I found that for this one I again used a bit less than the pattern recommendations indicated....1 3/4 yards as opposed to 2 1/2.

For the first version, I did the cross-over, and for this one I made the loop front. To be successful with these tops, Trudy's video is an absolute must! I unpicked every seam at least once because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. My recommendation is to pin ALL the seams before you move it off the dress form, otherwise it will shift on you while you are moving it to the machine. Also, I found that I had an easier time in getting the look I wanted to sew the seams from the side seams, then arrange the drape, then pin a second time and sew the seams to where I wanted them to end to keep the drape the way I wanted it. Does that make sense? I hope so, because it really helped me in getting the shirt done.

Having finished this, I have completed 5 of the sixteen garments that I had initially planned (the ones that are completed are in bold):
  1. Dark heather gray wool jersey
  2. Wool blend flannel
  3. Periwinkle charmeuse
  4. Grey/black print charmeuse
  5. Black and grey herringbone suiting
  6. White jersey knit-3 Graces Tee
  7. Purple jersey knit with diamond pattern-Butterick 5525
  8. Purple/ivory cotton shirting
  9. Heather gray knit
  10. Silk Tweed suiting
  11. Plum jersey knit-3 Graces Tee
  12. Black jersey knit
  13. Black boiled wool knit-Cardigan/Jacket
  14. Orchid stretch shirting-Butterick 5526
  15. Plum and orchid striped jersey
  16. Gray cashmere wool suiting
Of the remainder, I may need to jettison the purple/ivory shirting (#8), given that it did not prewash well. I have a couple of other fabrics that I could rotate into the cycle without disrupting my "Garanimals" plan. One option would be this ivory colored knit:


It has an abstract pattern created by varying textures in the knit, but is fairly heavy.

Another would be this black and grey knit:


This is solid black on one side, with a subtle pattern knitted in and black and grey stripes on the other side (the flash is making the pattern from the other side show through in the pic). It is surprisingly light for having two layers. Both coordinate fairly well with the rest of the fabrics I have chosen:


In both cases I have enough for either a twinset a la McCalls 5978:

Or I could go for a long tunic/dress like Butterick 5427:

Of course, if I made the tunic, I would also have to acquire leggings...which I swore in 1987 would never, ever, ever happen. So we will have to think on this....

In the meantime, I have cut out a pair of pants from the grey wool blend flannel....on to the next garment!

8 comments:

Linda T said...

Wow, you are just rockin' along turning out those garments. Everything looks so nice. You are doing a great job (and fast, I might add).

Gail said...

Love the white tshirt - as I've said before you are very brave posting your sewing plans. My list is just as long, but I'm keeping it to myself. I'll be interested in how Butterick 5427 turns out. I've thought about buying this pattern for a while.

gwensews said...

That white top is very elegant. It would be smashing with black velvet pants!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I was wondering when you were going to get to a bottom piece?! Glad to hear that one is next on the docket.

I made the Butterick dress and the neckline is really wide. I wear a sleeveless turtleneck under it so I would vote for the twinset. I think you would get more wearability from those pieces than the dress. Save the dress pattern for another piece of fabric and when you need a quick sew!

Congrats on getting so far along with your swap!

Heather said...

The top is so pretty! I'm so afraid of this pattern because of all the stuff at the bustline. I have enough stuff there! LOL!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I think you'll like B5247. I've made three versions of it. Be wary of the length. But even that "fixable". Can't wait to see what you do.
Angela

Toocutedobs said...

Believe it or not but I have successfully made the twin set from that same pattern! It is a pattern I would put on the tried and true list if I had one. But now I can not make it until I have a machine that will zig zag for buttonholes. Wait a minute now. . . that means one of those machines zig zagged once since I have been sewing. HUH!

Angela said...

Ooo... very nice! Looks like your on a great roll!