For the third piece, I made a jacket/cardigan. If you recall, since the fabric that I had selected...a hefty boiled wool...was a touch pricier than I usually use, so I decided to muslin it. Based on my muslin I made a number of changes:
- lengthened the jacket overall by 2 inches
- shortened the sleeves by 1 1/2 inches
- narrowed the sleeves from mid-bicep to wrist
- tapered the waist
- widened to the center front to allow for buttons
- added collar and revers


The wool is very thick, and the stitches sink right into it, such as where I topstitched the edge of the collar and the lapel:

I did a couple of samples, and really didn't like the way that overlocking looked on this fabric, so I decided to do a Hong Kong finish on the seams instead:

You can also see the back neck facing that I drafted since I did not line the jacket. The facing was necessary to add the collar as well. I used two fat quarters to make the binding (tutorial here), and selected a mini-zebra-print to coordinate with the black jacket:

The other changes that I made were done by morphing two patterns together. The original jacket was made using McCall's 6041, a Chanel-style jacket with no collar, shoulder princess seams, and a two-piece sleeve. Since one of my inspirations was the Hot Patterns Riviera Boulevard Cardigan Jacket, I decided that I wanted to add lapels and a collar to the final version. This inspiration is the reason that I wanted to make a jacket out of a knit...but the "A-line shape" descriptor gave me pause. I adore Hot Patterns, but the more that I learn about fitting, the more that I am realizing that there are some hard and fast rules for what looks flattering on my particular shape, and an A-line jacket does not fit within those rules.
So, I decided that I would reproduce the spirit of that pattern in a way that would be flattering on my shape. To do this, I added lapels using Butterick 4610 as a guide:
Now you could say, "Michelle, why bother altering the McCall's pattern? Why not just make it using the Butterick pattern?" Well, one reason is a long vertical dart in the center front piece of the Butterick pattern. The thickness of the fabric made me avoid anything that had darts because I was concerned that it would not lie flat. The McCall's pattern, on the other hand, achieved all its shaping through shoulder princess seams:
To draft the lapels, I took my altered front piece (lengthened) and retraced it by lining up the shoulder seam with the front from the Butterick pattern. Using that shoulder seam as a guide, I widened the center front and transferred the markings from the blazer pattern. I also widened the center front piece to allow for an overlap and buttons:

And I finished it just in time, since it would appear that fall is finally here! This weekend I also decided to work on one of the many knits that I have in the stash to make a version of the Hot Patterns Classix Nouveau 3 Graces T-shirt:

I decided that I wanted to do the cross-over version using a purple rayon knit. The videos on the Hot Patterns website are a must in attempting this shirt! I read the instructions 3 times, and still don't get how to assemble that shirt! So I took my laptop into the sewing room and followed along with Trudy. Just as Trudy suggests, pinning the seams for the crossover top ON a dressform is much easier than doing it flat. Here is the finished top:

I cut a 16 based on my bust measurement. I can't even begin to imagine how to alter a shirt like this, so I just forged ahead. Fortunately, all the draping provides plenty of room for a full bust. I made the extra-long sleeves, designed to be pushed up. There is also some nice shaping to the back:

And as complex as the construction appears, the front neckline is the only piece besides the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt that needs hemmed:

I will say that I used significantly less fabric than was recommended. Per the pattern description, "Sizes 6-8-10-12-14-16-18 need around 2 yards/ 1.83 m of fabric; sizes 20-22-24-26 need around 2 1/2 yards/ 2.30 m of fabric for all views...just add ½ yard/ 45 cm if you wish to make any version with the long sleeves." Based on this, I purchased 2 1/2 yards of fabric. However, the pattern used only 1 3/4 yards.
One of the great things about Hot Patterns is that their styles are very current. This shirt, for example, is styled after a Rick Owens shirt:

But, you may notice that it is not as skin-tight as the Owens shirt, a much better option not only for someone larger than a size 6, but also more appropriate for work wear. Also, for those of us not in the market to spend $300.00 on a t-shirt, the ability to make our own version is especially attractive.
I still have lengths of grey, white, and black knit, so chances are this shirt will be made a number of times!
10 comments:
What a beautiful jacket and shirt! The HongKong seams look very smart indeed. And the shirt is pretty too. It looks just like the Rick Owens one that you showed us.
Both pieces look wonderful!! I particularly love the jacket. Polished and classy, but still cozy.
Great jacket and top. I want to make another stab at the 3 Graces because the first one was not a good fit in the shoulders for me and I do like it. I agree the Rick Owens is just too body conscious for most of us!
What awesome pieces you have created. I love, love, love how you made the jacket what you needed it to be and not what the pattern dictated it should be! The tee is also fantastic.
4 pieces out of 16! Aren't you feeling now like you can make it to the end? Especially since you've made such wonderful pieces to start with!
Love the jacket and love the zebra print on the Hong Kong seams.
Dolce & Gabbana did zebra linings in men's jackets several years ago.
I'm impressed at your disciplined approach. The jacket is beautiful -the cut is sharp, fabric looks warm and soft and the workmanship very good. I love the colour of your knit top. Keep sewing girl.
Love the jacket and the hong kong detail. You did an awesome job on the blouse.
I love a boiled wool jacket. Yours is very, very nice. I made the HP Riveria jacket last year, and want to do it again. You, of course, Frankenpatterned, and it turned out great!
Great jacket! I love the finish on the inside too. I'd love to try the 3 Graces top but I'm so leary of adding all that extra fabric to my bust. I really like your version though...hmmm, maybe next time they have a sale I'll buy the pattern.
OOo... I love both pieces! They look fantastic and I bet it look fantastic on you as well!
Post a Comment