This morning I woke up at about 7, and thought that I would trace off a copy of the Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Knit Dress, since my new patterns had arrived on Saturday. I have grand plans for this dress, and would like to use it for my Vera Wang Wool-Jersey-That-Is-Really-More-Like-Sweater-Knit from Fabric.com, but before I cut into that I wanted to make a muslin in a less-irreplaceable RPL knit from Hancock's that was about the weight of a sweatshirt knit.
Seriously, by 11 I was showered and wearing my dress. This was THE FASTEST project I have ever made. Only 4 hours to trace, cut out, and sew. I NEVER work that fast. That was tracing included!

While I am not the fastest sewer in the world, I do not poke along either and I do have to admit to being rather nervous about sewing exclusively on the serger. I am relatively new to serging, and generally what I do is I sew the seam on the sewing machine and then finish the edge on the serger. The serger is just a little to zippy for me to feel entirely comfortable sewing constructions seams on it. But, I watched all of Trudy's videos for this dress, and the seam allowances are drafted as 3/8" so it is designed to be sewn that way. So, I steeled myself and just did it. Or as the Hot Patterns Motto says: "Feel the fear...And do it anyway!"
I made the pattern exactly to their specifications, selecting a size 18 based on my measurements. I did not do an FBA or any alterations. They offer three different lengths for the bodice, one for heavy fabrics (the shortest), with the longest length for lightweight fabrics. I cut mine to the shortest length. I also made a narrow sash.
Here is the final product:

And here it is from the back:

AND, because of the weight of the sweatshirtish material, that is sans-spanx. Yep, that is just me under there. How awesome is that? I might have to go get some more of this fabric!
There is one change that I am going to make before putting together the final product and that is to shorten the length of the band around the bottom of the skirt. As you can see, it does not gather the skirt in at all, even though it looks as though it does in the pattern illustration. On one hand, for someone with wide hips like me, a more A-line skirt is definitely a more flattering shape. On the other hand, that is not how this dress is supposed to look, so I will shorten it...but just slightly. Just enough to make it smaller than the hem of the skirt, but not enough to make the skirt blouse and make me look even more hippy than I already am. I will also make the long-sleeved option when I make the final version.
I think that this dress also has great potential to be a flexible addition to any wardrobe. Today I am wearing it paired with Kenneth Cole Mary Janes and jean jacket for a casual day with the family:

But it could easily be paired with tights, heels, and a cardigan for a more work-appropriate look. I would highly recommend this pattern, and even though it is rated "easy," it is still very fashion-forward.
21 comments:
Great dress, love the color! Congrats on having such a productive day with a great final product! "Feel the fear and do it anyway"... can I get that as a sign for my sewing room???
Great looking dress!! Easy and adorable? I'd better get that pattern!
I am liking this pattern more and more! You look fantastic!
Nice dress. And wow, quickly sewn!
Sometimes the simple patterns are the best. It is a very flattering dress. I'd like to see boots with this dress too.
Great dress - you are doing a good job of selling me these new HP patterns!
Ok. Now I must buy. Love your version.
Fast gratification is nice! You look great. I think, it will be a nice go-to dress!
I too am getting more intrigued by that dress. Looks great! You should stop by SewItSeams to see the 12 or so funnel dresses (is that the right term?) that they have on display that they make in their Thurs night group. This pattern reminds me so much of the pattern they used, and there were some Really interesting interpretations. From dressy to sweatshirt casual.
Isn't it nice to get something started and finished in the same day? Congrats.
Enjoy that dress and all of those that will follow. Very nice.
Marji, I will definitely do that. I have been meaning to go to Sew It Seams (and I have no excuse, since I drive near there on my way to and from work!) now I will definitely make myself go!!
Hey ya C&P,
you and I have the same serger so wondering if you can tell which videos you watched? The videos on discs included with serger?
Have you tried to rolled edge hem yet? It is impressive.
What a fab dress..you did a super job, and it looks great on you !
Love your dress. Looks like you can dress it up or down and it would likely pack well too for travel. I want one!
That is a dress for the ages. It will never go out of style. It is very stylish now, though. It can be dressed up or down. It can be worn year round with a jacket or not. You look great in it. And, it was quick to make. Wow!
I was thinking about getting that pattern but I was not sure how it would look on me (I am rather hippy). But I think I am going to give it a try. It looks great on you!
Wow! 4 hours! What a deal! The finished dress is definitely a WINNER on you!
Great dress, now I've got to add that pattern to my stash.
Great dress! I love seeing this pattern finally made up and can't wait to add it to my stash. Btw, love the styling with the jacket and flats, too. :)
Wow!! That dress looks fabulous on you. I've been contemplating getting this pattern. You might have now made up my mind.
You've finally pushed me over the HotPatterns edge. I've been contemplating buying a pattern from them for ages, but haven't acted on it until I saw this dress. I got the Classix Nouveau Belle Wrap Skirt, Plain & Simple Superfantastic Shirt, and the Riviera Pennant Blouse, all of which have fabric here waiting for their arrival.
Post a Comment