Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Finished: The Most Tedious Dress on the Planet

Today when I got home from work I decided that this was it, I was going to finish the Urban Safari dress tonight, no more farting around. Fortunately all the little fiddly things didn't take me too long. Seriously, this dress was even more tedious than that Vogue dress with the 12 gore skirt I made. And that took 3 spools of thread!! Here is the finished dress:


I realized that I didn't have a brown belt, so I sewed one from a leftover strip of fabric from the dress, plus I had a couple of D-rings to use as a buckle. Here are some of the buttons, I used a mottled grey and tan:


The belt loops are buttoned, too. I changed the back from two loops to one, mainly because I preferred the way that it looked with the loop lined up with the center back seam, and also because my topstitching on those little flaps was abyssmal. I don't know why I don't have better control, but it looked like a one-eyed drunk had made those. So, I picked the best three, and then left the flaps off the shoulders:


One nice touch is that the collar is made without a facing. The collar stand is attached to the outside of the dress, then the inside is folded under and hand stitched, hiding all the raw edges of the fabric:

One of the reasons that this dress took so darn long is that there is topstitching EVERYWHERE. That also makes it more of a challenge to match up the seams, since you have to match both the seams and the topstitching:


There are also little flaps/welts on the outside of the pockets. Topstitched, of course:



Overall, I am quite happy with the way the dress turned out. The cotton twill is not stiff, and hangs nicely. The only thing that I am concerned about is the lack of color. I tend to wear brights or black, so this is a bit of a departure for me. We'll see if I can adapt! I plan on wearing it tomorrow.

Updated to add, photo of finished dress, ready for work:


I feel like I need a hat.

10 comments:

Melody said...

Wow! It looks fantastic!! I agree wholehearedtly with the title of this post!

Unknown said...

Great job, looks like a lot of work, but very RTW! Grab some bright jewelry for your pop of color, and you'll be all set!

Kim said...

Great dress! It's making me think twice about a safari dress ;-)

Chris said...

I think it was worth all the tedious work, it looks great on you! Nice job.

Sew Shy said...

NICE! You can always add/make a colored belt or switch up shoes for a pop of color.

Linda T said...

IMO, this is one to be proud of!

Michelle said...

Thanks, everyone! I am really proud of it. I had a meeting this morning and one of the women there knows that I sew, and she asked me if I had made it and just said "Wow! Really, Wow!" It is always great to get compliments from fellow sewists!

gwensews said...

There are a lot of really nice details on that dress. Tedious paid off royally! Nice job.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Great dress!

HeathersSphere said...

All your efforts paid off to create a gorgeous dress! Much better than designer qualilty because you made it so beautifully!