Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fancy Pants

Today I finished a pair of jeans that I made using Burda 12.2009.116. I have been wanting to make the Jalie jeans, but have had some trouble finding stretch denim that I like the weight and color of. On the other hand, I have had this dark (non-stretch) denim in my stash for a while. I have enough yet to make the denim dress that I picked the pattern for in the previous post.

As for these, I have made these pants before, from khaki twill, but I thought that this would be a nice pattern to practice my topstitching on, given all the seams going in so many different directions:
This time I did not use the side-seam pockets, given that they gaped open and I just sewed them closed in the last pair. Instead, I used horizontal pockets in the seam between the yoke and the pant front:


Given the interesting seaming, I decided to topstitch using beige thread. To do this, I threaded my Singer 401 with two spools of thread, running both threads through the needle. I also used black thread in the bobbin, so make the topstitching "pop." The stitch length was set at 10 stitches per inch:


I did not use flat-felled seams, but just serged and pressed the seam to one side and then topstitched through the seam allowance. One of the reasons that I did not do any flat-felled seams was because of the intersection of so many seams, and that would have been too bulky for flat-felling. Also, the curved seams would have been difficult as well. But, the two rows of topstitching looks the same as if the seams were flat-felled. Here is the leg piece with all the topstitching done, laid out and ready to be joined:


When setting the zipper, it is important to make sure that the seams from the front yoke are lined up:


To reduce the bulk of the thick denim, I used cotton left over from a shirt I made for my husband for the inside of the waistband and the pocket bags:


Here are the finished pants from the front:


And from the back, you can see the curved yoke seam and also the split back leg. I decided not to do any topstitching to the crotch seam, because I figured there was enough attention being called to the rear end with the back leg seams:


The back leg piece actually curves around the side of the leg to the front, I also topstitched the hem with two rows of stitches:


All in all, I am fairly happy with the results and feel confident enough to embark on either the denim dress, or if I find some nice stretch denim, the Jalie jeans. Now, I just need to go bleach my hands to get rid of all the blue dye on them. Two pre-washes, and I still have blue hands!!

19 comments:

Amy Bailes said...

Lookin' good there lady!

Sue said...

You have a done great job on these pants - the top stitching looks great!

KID, MD said...

Those look awesome!! This is a pattern that I have had my eye on. I love the interesting seaming. What a great idea to do them jeans style and really take advantage of the style lines!

Unknown said...

Those look awesome, really flattering on you! Bummer about your smurfy hands, though...

gwensews said...

Terrifric pants! I like the style lines--very different.

Melody said...

Outstanding. They look fantastic!!

Skitzo Leezra Studio said...

Firstly, you look good in darker pants. Secondly, like the lack of back pockets. Thirdly, style and fit is very flattering on you and I like the topstitching. . .which brings me to a question: how does using black bobbin make the topstitching "pop"? What does that mean?

Ann Brodsky said...

These are wonderful! I love the topstitching and the contrasting fabric for the facing. Great fit too!

KarenJeanette said...

I'm taking the blue jeans class on PR. J Stern recommends 5 prewashings and when the color is where you want it to add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to set the color. She says this will prevent blue hands. Hope this helps.

Kathryn said...

Great great trousers. So flattering - you look marvellous in them.

Omega said...

I love those jeans! The top stitching and seam detail looks really great.

Linda T said...

VERY WELL DONE! And your top stitching is perfect! They look fantastic on you. Oh, and I hope you got all the blue off your hands...............

Gail said...

Great looking pants, especially teamed with the green and white cardigan jacket.

Amy said...

Those look great! I've got that pattern in my "to do list." You did a fabulous job with all of that topstitching.

Eugenia said...

What fantastic pants - I really like that they are jeans but because of their streamlined style they look much smarter than regular jeans. I love those interesting seam lines that your fabulous topstitching highlights so perfectly.

HeathersSphere said...

Very sleek looking pair of pants on you, Michelle! You cannot get a superb look and fit from RTW.

Diana said...

Very cute!

Angela said...

Awesome pants! The whole outfit is super cute!

Lisette M said...

Great looking pants!