I thought this would be a perfect dress for the office in the summer. Especially since our "business casual" completely falls apart in the summer. And since graduation was last Saturday, I anticipate the swift downward slide in office wear to be commencing in about an hour...when everyone arrives at work.
I was so excited about this dress, that weeks before my magazine arrived, I had already trotted off to the fabric store to pick up 3 yards of navy blue cotton interlock. I had everything figured out...it was going to be perfect! A fabulously comfy t-shirt that just happened to be a dress. Then the magazine arrived:
WTH?? Is that even the same dress?? Why is the skirt so tight? Why is it so....Eighties??? I can't make that! If it makes the scrawny model look that bad, what is it going to do to me? I shudder to think.
But...now I had three yards of cotton interlock. Really, how many blue t-shirts would my nephews need? Because I had no other use for it...it was too heavy for the beautiful and dramatic cowl front tunic that was living in my head. So...I made my dress anyway. Except I did not use the pattern for BurdaStyle 05-2010-105, I used the Uptown Downtown Knit Dress that I have already made about 8 times:

I have made these soooo many times, I am down to about an hour a dress. So, even though those rotten boys had sucked up all my sewing time this weekend, I still managed to sneak upstairs to make this:

I am perfectly happy with how this turned out, and will gleefully slip into my downward slide, re: summer office wear. In the meantime, I have to say that my initial excitement about this month's Burda has waned now that I have seen the model photos. Another one that I won't me making?
Seriously, who wants to leave the house wearing a teepee? (Especially when you are already fairly teepee-shaped even without a huge, conical dress?) And again, that is NOT what I saw when I saw the preview:
Although, if I were pregnant I would probably be all over that pattern. Oh well, no chance of that!!! Perhaps this month's Burda will just be "inspiration...."
11 comments:
Cute dress... it looks so comfortable.
I love the way your Uptown dress turned out. I was looking at that Burda dress also. I just might still make it.
It's a crime that we are such good friends and that I own that HP pattern and haven't made it up yet! Please forgive me, I'll do better, I swear!
Oh you did make me chuckle in this post. Hats off to you though for changing direction so well and producing such lovely results.
I love the image of a teepee dress, mmmm, not quite what I'm looking for either!
k
Thinking you and I have the same silhouette and there is just no way that either of those Burda navy dress scenarios would love us. Tight where we don't need, voluminous fabric where we don't need. YOUR solution is much better. PLUS darker colors look good on you, in my observations of religiously following your sewing adventures.
Good save on the fabric - the blue looks good on you.
I am in my third month of a six month subscription of Burda and I am soooo disappointed! I've seen so many cute things that others have made and just when I order the magazine they go downhill! None of the patterns are that impressive and the model pictures are misleading! Waaaaahhhh! Please tell me it will get better!
You look great in the dress made from the pattern you ended up using. It's weird how one picture looks one way and then the same dress looks totally different in another picture.
You ended up with a very cute dress. Nice choice of pattern.
Cute dress!! You would never guess that it was made from "tshirt material". It's lovely!
I love your navy version of the Uptown Downtown - navy is such a wonderful colour for a dress. I think it's so great that you have found a style that suits you so well, looks so good and you can make very quickly!
Post a Comment