The last week, I have been sewing for rotten boys. Not a single thing for myself, just shirts for my husband and one for my nephew who has been growing like a weed and completely outgrown the shirts that I made for him last year.The first shirt was another Kwik Sew 2777 for my husband. This time I used a blue, white and orange plaid cotton:

I did a bang-up job of matching the plaids, if I do say so myself (please ignore the chalk marks on the placket). Check out that pocket....if you can find it!

I really like this pattern. It goes together well, and it fits him great. The only thing I am not happy about is the back yoke, but that was totally me not thinking ahead. I cut the yoke on the opposite grain from the back...like you are supposed to...but because the plaid is a perfect square it looks like I just didn't take the time to match. I should have done it on the bias instead:

My husband doesn't know it should look any other way, so it's just fine. He loves this shirt, though. I have at least 4 more to make for him, one with a wonderful silky cotton shirting with a blue and white stripe that I paid an exorbitant amount for in Portland.
Second, I made him another gig shirt, using Simplicity 4760. I have made shirts for him from this pattern before (he loves the one I made from laundered linen and wears it constantly).

To do the stripes on the front, I split the pattern front into three pieces. To do this, I draw lines on the original pattern where I want the stripe to lie. Then I trace the front in three individual pieces, and add seam allowances. The first thing I sew then is the front, and once it is reassembled just treat it the same way that the instructions would have you do the front piece.
The stripe has a print with musicians on it:

Finally, I made a shirt for my nephew. He adores anything that has skulls, flames, or some type of camouflage. If it were possible for a fabric to have all three in some manner, then he would be thrilled.

Since he outgrew Butterick 3475 that I had been using for him, I got McCall's 4164 instead. To make the stripe, I did the same thing that I did with Jeremy's shirt. Hopefully this one will fit him for a while!
I have one last thing that I need to sew for someone else, and then I can go back to sewing for me. I owe my mom a pair of pants. I have traced the pattern, sewn a muslin, and made alterations. Now I just need to cut out the fabric (a stretch twill) and put them together. If I hustle I can do it tomorrow and them back to my projects! The first thing that I want to do is a Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Knit Dress in navy blue cotton interlock.
When I saw this dress in the current Burda:
I fell in love. I couldn't wait for the magazine to arrive so that I could make it. Then, the magazine arrived and:
Is it just me, or it that a TOTALLY different look than in the first photo? I hate how tight the skirt is. And all that fabric bunching under the armpits?? So, I decided that I could get a similar look, and a look that would be significantly more flattering by using the Uptown Downtown dress.
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend, and a Happy Mother's Day. Jeremy and I are taking the family out for dinner this evening to celebrate. There is a good chance that everyone at the table could be wearing clothes made by me! That's kind of funny, actually!
ETA: Besides me, there were 4 people at dinner wearing clothes that I made. Here are all those rotten boys!
8 comments:
Great shirts. I like the Butterick boys shirt pattern. The 6 year old grandson is growing into a size 6 so I will have to get a new pattern. The smaller sizes that I used for his shirts can be used for the new 3-week old grandson and the pattern pieces are already traced and ready to go. Lots of boys in my husband's family too.
I took the liberty of looking up the Youtube link for the Uptown Downtown Dress for you. It looks easy enough to make and the dress is great.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Uptown+Downtown+dress.&aq=f
Well done on all the boy's clothes. I haven't tried to make a button shirt for a man yet but do have a pattern I should try (especially after sewing your great shirts!)
Great shirts, what a bunch of lucky guys! Have fun with the knit dress, I have that pattern, but haven't traced it off yet!
They look great! --for rotten boys anyway!
All your rotten boys look wonderful in their fabulous shirts. You are such a good wife/aunt! Hope they all appreciate you. I really love both of Jeremy's new shirts. I so agree with you about the Burda dress - I really liked the line drawing but when I saw the photo I thought that if it looks that bad on the model then it's going to look hideous on me!
Those are great shirts!!
Love it! Especially the shirt with the retro fabric inserts. My husband is always asking when I am going to make something for him. So I am NOT telling him about you at all. And yes, your plaid matching skills are awesome! SALUTE!
Good looking group of Lucky Rotten Boys. (New band name?) Nice shirts too.
Post a Comment