But I may have found a way to get one...but I have to tell you a story first...
I am a huge packrat. It's not therapy-worthy, but it's pretty bad. You just never know when you might need silverware service for 35, amirite? My husband seems to think that keeping every item you have ever owned, ever, in the basement is a somewhat less fantastic idea than I do. He has threatened on numerous occasions to call "Hoarders" and tell them about me. I have explained that they aren't interested in people who are just messy, and as long as you can still see all the walls of the basement, there is no way they are going to come out here. Although I could TOTALLY use the "after-care funds" they are always talking about to buy some more sewing machines!
So, because A&E is not interested, Jeremy has decided that he will lead the charge to clean out the basement. (Really, all the stuff down there is not mine. But when two people in their mid-thirties marry and combine households, somehow 2 households full of stuff looks like 4 when piled in the basement).
Every day he brings up boxes for me to go through...and each one is like a time capsule. In one, I find notes from my dissertation. In another, a photo of my ex. In a third, dig clothes that I used in Syria. In another, the closing documents from my first house. Each box is like a chapter in my history...or a stratum in the excavation of my life.
One of the things that was in the basement, was my old couch (or, the Sectional of Awesomeness, as I like to call it). It is truly a fantastic piece of retro craziness. I bought it in a used furniture store where it was purported to be a 1950's Danish sectional. And hey, that sounds as good as anything to me.
Now, if it were up to me, I would keep it in the basement until we purchased a house large enough that it could have its own room. My husband has vetoed that proposal. So, I decided to sell it. But sell it for pretty close to what a featherweight would cost me on Craigslist. Since I am selling it on Craigslist, and plan to re-spend the money on a Craigslist acquisition, I feel like that it good "Craigslist Karma."
So won't you help me say goodbye to the Sectional of Awesomeness?

Not only is it awesome as just a sectional, you can push the two sides together and make a double bed:

I will miss you, Sectional of Awesomeness. You served me well. But the featherweight that I will purchase with your proceeds will be even MORE filled with Awesome. And will take up significantly less space.
14 comments:
That IS an awesome sectional. Good luck getting as much $$ as possible on it and on finding a FW for less than that so you have leftovers.
OMG. That is a fantastic piece. I'm not sure I'd be able to part with it if it were mine.
That is one great sectional, and a great idea! I would think that it would be worth at least as much as a featherweight. Excuse me while I dig through my garage- maybe I can sell the grownup and moved out kids leftovers!!
That is one groovy sofa! I have my fingers crossed for you, and give Jeremy a hug, he sounds like a good guy.
Oh, you are lucky with your time-capsules. I wish you luck with this change-business!!
Damn I wish I lived a little closer because that is one awesome piece of furniture! Hope you get more than you need for the Featherweight!
And I agree with you, the people on those Hoarder episodes have wall to wall stuff, i.e. junk! And they form pathways to rooms...I don't think basement storage classifies as hoarding otherwise the hoarding police would be "arresting" a whole lotta folks!
Awesome sectional of awesomeness!
I would hate to let that go! But, a Featherweight will be a good replacement, feel good purchase. I bought mine for $25.00. Perfect condition, case, manual, accessories from someone who had it cleaned in the 70s and never used after that.
Ok, I know we are all sewing freaks but are you sure? That sofa is a once in lifetime find. Surely featherweights are easier to find. Ok, so your mind is made up. Check out this site with lots on featherweights: http://singerfeatherweight221.blogspot.com/
Now that is a Sectional of a lifetime.. How I wish I had something worthy to sell so that I could purchase that sectional.
I still regret letting my family's Danish sofa go for cheap. I do, however, still have the two armchairs in storage. But what I'm saying is don't let that sectional go for cheap, ok? You might need some accessories or a good clean-up done on that Featherweight.
Are you sure you didn't mean to call it the Big Black Sex-tional of Awesomeness? Because the black vinyl (naugahyde?) would make for easy clean up although a clamp would be required to prevent falling through the crack, pun intended.
~~You're welcome for the Craigslist composition inspiration~~
"Dissertation" "dig clothes from Syria" "stratum"
I *must* ask: what sites in Syria? I've worked at Tell Tuneinir on the Khabur near Hassake. I believe it's pretty much underwater now.
Paloverde (former archaeologist in Arizona)
Hi Paloverde: I excavated at Tell Tuneinir in the 90's! When were you there? I have also worked at Tell Leilan further north and then also at various sites in Turkey, Egypt and Morocco. My email is linked in the sidebar. Feel free to contact me.
Post a Comment