Monday, July 19, 2010

Planning Projects

Now that I have sewn my first silk dress, I have finally decided to break into some of the other silk fabrics in my "stash." Yesterday I cut out Vogue 1120, a DKNY dress with pleated neckline and obi-style waist tie:


I have a 4-yard length of silk charmeuse with "scribble" pattern on it from the same Vera Wang sale that the blue silk I used for my last dress came from:


I cut the dress out last night, and am debating whether or not to include the in-seam pockets. Really, I don't use pockets on dresses, so I am leaning towards just not putting them in at all. The pattern does have some nice details. First, the pattern uses a hem facing rather than just turning the edge under. Ever since completing my Hot Patterns coat dress, I am a hem facing convert. The sleeves are also lined, so that hem will be hidden as well. The pattern also provides individual pattern pieces for each size top that show the placement of the pleats. This is also a nice detail, because otherwise there would be so many lines around the top of the pattern, it would be impossible to tell what line went with what dart and what size.

I also have a silk chiffon in black with a chain link print that I would like to use for Burda 09.2009.139B.


It is a blouse with an interesting combination of v-neck, tie collar, and raglan sleeves:


There are also small gathers at the raglan seam that will make alterations for a full bust very easy. The fabric should make for a nice shirt for work, with a camisole underneath:


Hopefully I'll be able to get a little bit of sewing done this week, but work has been insane, so who knows? I have two syllabi to finish for fall, plus I am leaving next Wednesday for a short vacation in Austin. Not to mention, my husband has put me to work going through boxes in the basement and getting rid of junk. It is slow going, especially with this kind of help:

6 comments:

Gail said...

I really love that DKNY pattern. Your fabric is beautiful. Happy sewing.

Rebecca said...

Love your fabric. I'm working on my first silk blouse. It's such a pain! Keeps shifting on me. Oh, well. Have fun with your silks!

Eugenia said...

I love that DKNY pattern (in fact I have it in my stash) and I think it will look wonderful in the fabric you have chosen. Your cat may not be very helpful but it does look gorgeous!!!

Toocutedobs said...

Thanks for the cat/box photo--it made me laugh this morning. Just image two 70 LBS dobermans replacing the cat and then you have my life :)

Patty said...

I have that Vera Wang scribble print, so I am anxious to see what you do with it. The dress sounds lovely, tho I love pockets in my dresses :-)

Angela said...

Ooo.. I love planning projects! It looks like you have some great patterns and fabric picked out. I wish there was more time to finish all the projects planned in my head. :)