Although, along with cleaning up the basement, we have also been cleaning and rearranging in other areas of the house. One of the places that is being worked on is the sewing room. A difficulty with the sewing room is that it is also one of the two guest rooms in the house, and because of that we had a queen sized bed in it. The room is only 11x14, though, so with the big bed, a rolling garment rack, the containers of fabric, three sewing machine cabinets, and a cutting table it was getting pretty tight in there.
The first step in cleaning up the sewing room was to trade my brother the queen size bed for a twin bed. Next, we will buy a daybed with a trundle, so we will still be able to house just as many people when the room is used for guests. Finally, I want to install a long countertop along one wall and inset all the machines into it and put the cabinets (don't tell my husband this plan, he'll have a stroke) in the basement. I would need workstations for the 401, the 503, the 603, and the serger. Those are the main machines I use. The 66 treadle will stay where it is, and the 99 and 301 will stay in their travel cases (as will the featherweight...once acquired!).
After the beds were changed, I decided to go through my fabrics and see if there was anything that wanted to be sewn up. I took some time to lay out my next projects.
First, I want to make another version of the Hot Patterns Sunshine top:

I will make it in grey knit that was left over from the cardi-wrap I made last winter. It is very lightweight, so I think I will make the belted tunic version.
Second, I have a black and white knit print that I want to make a cowl neck top with:

I have so many patterns that I am loathe to purchase any more, but I think it would also be a great fabric for McCalls 6069:

Or, pehaps I just think that because the one in the illustration is black and white. I have also considered morphing the skirt from the Hot Patterns Uptown Downtown Dress:

Onto the top for the Sunshine top:

Next, I have a length of really soft pink knit that I would like to make a simple pullover dress with:

It will definitely need to be belted, but there is a pattern for a wrap around obi belt in an old Burda that I plan on making using black denim. I am considering making it reversible, and doing one side with zebra print and one side with the black denim....we'll see.
One of my final projects for summer is this purple and green plaid:

I would like to make the shirt with the cuffed half sleeves. And because even though it is poly, I can never pass that shelf by in the fabric store:

I figured after that, I really should start thinking about projects for fall. I have love this dress from the January Burda ever since it came out:
But, I have finally come to accept that gathered or pleated skirts are NOT my friend. But, I still wanted a dress with that menswear styling. So....

Here is a better image of the pattern:

Finally, I have a couple of jackets planned. First, I have a red embroidered stretch twill that was going to be a dress, but I didn't have enough fabric. Therefore, it will become a jacket instead:

And finally, I have a grey twill and a great charmeuse animal print for lining to make a trench coat for fall:

And for today's "Interesting Basement Find," apparently at one time I was teaching myself to tat. When I was little, my grandfather tried to teach me, but I could never handle the shuttle properly. Apparently I had better luck needle tatting:

Seriously, I only VAGUELY remember even doing this. I REALLY need to just pick a craft and stick with it!
Anyway, have a fantastic weekend everyone! Be safe, stay cool, and I'll catch up with everyone's blogs when I get back!
9 comments:
Heya Michelle--Late to the party, but if you're still in Austin Wed/Thursday and have time, drop me a note and we can have coffee or go check out Silk Road's new location.
Ooo.. what great projects! You're going to be Austin?! Hehe.. how fun! It's a little drizzly today... hope you have a wonderful time! Like Leslie, said if you have time and want to meet up maybe I can take to The Common Thread.
I'm loving that purple plaid fabric, super cute with the pattern you chose.
If you're planning on making a trench, maybe join the trench coat sewalong? (http://trenchsewalong.wordpress.com/)
You have some great ideas. Look forward to seeing them roll off your production line.
You've got some really great looking projects in the pipeline there! I've just finished making Simplicity 2403 - it's a nice pattern. Enjoy Austin.
Hi Michelle! You and I have similar tastes in clothing as I have several of the patterns in your current queue. I am anxious to see M6035 (had a hard time fitting), M6076, and S2403. Have a safe trip to Austin!
I love the fabrics you found in your stash. I wonder if the white dress from the Janauary Burda would look good with a straight skirt or just a little bit a-line. I used to have a very small waist with wide hips and could wear a pleated or gathered skirt, but not any more. You look great in the coat dress and it made me wonder if the top of that dress would work for you as well. I enjoy your journey in learning new things. Thank you for sharing with us.
Lita in Peoria, IL
Wow, you've got lots of things to sew! When I try to plan, I seem to always get sidetracked--lol. Hope your trip is/was good. As always, look forward to hearing about all your progress when you return!
I love the Vogue pullover dress. Have fun in Austin!!
Post a Comment