Monday, August 24, 2009

Clean Up, and Moving On

Last weekend I was out of town, and I really missed my time in the sewing room. But, on a long drive from St. Louis to Chicago and back I had a LOT of time to think about the projects that I had coming up. One thing I decided was that I needed to finish ALL the UFOs and ALL the things that I had already cut out, before I embark on any other projects.

First up, I have cut out a shirt for my brother. The shirt promises to be a lot of fun:


It will look like this shirt that I made for his son (Caiden is telling me "To the moon, Alice. To the moon" in the picture) except I couldn't get any more Three Stooges fabric. He was mightily disappointed until I revealed the showgirl fabric I had found instead:


I also have cut out and ready to go my dress version of this Burda shirt:

It will be done in a purple cotton, with little round buttons:


Then there is the coat that I started for my husband last summer. Yes. Last summer. He had better not have gained any weight, because the muslin fit perfectly.


It will be made from a black wool coating and silk twill lining. It is cut out, the hair canvas has been padstitched to everything but the collar, and it is ready for assembly. Hopefully I won't die from heatstroke in the process:


I also cut out (months ago!) this Chado Ralph Rucci dress from vogue, from a lightweight sueded black cotton twill.


I also have a number of UFOs that really need finished.

I have a grey double-knit dress that became a UFO because I was filled with fail over the invisible zipper. I need to take the zipper back out and give it one more shot, finish the sleeves and cuffs, and wear the damn thing already.

Here is the fabric:

The pattern is Vogue 8409, which Amanda made a gorgeous denim version of back in October (around the time I started mine):


I also have a shirt that I need to finish for my mom. All it needs is collar, sleeves, and buttons. I initially was making it for myself, but it was before I discovered FBAs so it totally doesn't fit and got stuck on a hanger. For 2 years. It has a matching skirt, that I already gave her after I deemed the length "frumpy." She doesn't mind, because Yo Momma can definitely bring the frump:

There is also a knit dress that I never got around to sewing last year. It probably doesn't even fit any more, but I still need to finish it. If nothing else, I can give it away, or just put it in the closet in hopes that I can get rid of some of this weight soon. The dress will be Butterick 5423:


And the fabric is a rust and brown ITY from Fashion Fabrics Club:


Also a wrap skirt cut from this rayon:


I used McCall's 5430, which I suspect may also result in a frumptastic look, and will therefore immediately be given to my mother:

I refuse to let myself embark on ANY OTHER PROJECTS until these are finished and out of the sewing room. I badly need to do the muslin for my Chanel jacket, as well as getting back to pants fitting. But, I cannot in good conscience let these projects languor, there will be no more fabric purchasing until I can actually finish something! (That is a total lie. I'm going to the fabric store today).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, ha! At least you call yourself on your lies! Good luck with the UFO's, I'm sure you'll tear through them in no time!

gwensews said...

Good luck finishing your UFOs. You'll almost have a whole wardrobe when they are done!

Sue said...

You lie with such a straight face too! lol! Love your honesty.

SkitzoLeezra said...

Several years ago, I made the same promise to myself regarding embroidery and cross stitch projects and I gotta tell ya, it felt so good to get that old stuff cleared out!
Happy sewing!

Linda T said...

You are a better woman than me! There are some UFOs I might has well toss or give away, because they will likely never see the light of day again! In fact, I tossed one today while doing some cleaning.

Ofcourse, there are others that will eventually be finished. Someday!