Sunday, August 2, 2009

Updates and Upcoming

Wow, I can't believe I finally got that vintage Butterick done! I might even be brave and wear it to work tomorrow. If I do, I'll be sure to have one of the girls at work take a good photo. You know, a photo without work-out hair and with some actual makeup on my face.

I still need to finish up two more dresses for weddings, parties, and other events that I have yet this summer.

One of the dresses that I wanted to do was this Burda:

And I have a length of purple cotton twill that I think will be very nice. But, I am making a "practice run" first, with the leftovers from the fabric I used for the vintage pattern. I had about 1 1/4 yards left, plus a few other scraps. I was able to get the whole thing cut out but had to cut the sleeves on the cross-grain. Hopefully it will still work out. I was glad I had enough left of the magenta sateen, because I had these pink faceted buttons that I thought would look cute with it:


I also want to sew Burda 7827, a safari dress, from a lightweight twill:


It takes about three million buttons, but I found some that I think look nice with the gray/beige fabric that I selected:


I also have a few quick shirts that I need to whip up for the boys in the family. If you follow this blog, you have probably seen the little shirts that I make for my nephews:


They love them, and apparently so do their Daddies. I was cornered last weekend by my brothers who begged for shirts of their own. As "payment" for the shirts, I made them go to the fabric store with me (heh heh heh). They did make some cute selections though:



I also joined a Chanel Jacket Sew-Along, and in September I'll be working on Vogue 7975, the pattern I selected for the sew-along:

I had been hiding a length of black, pink, grey, and white boucle that I bought from Gorgeous Fabrics. I had no idea what I was going to make with it, but when I saw it I couldn't think anything but "Must. Have. It." As I was rearranging the stash to find it, I discovered that the charmeuse that I still cant decide what to make with matched the colorway PERFECTLY, so it has now been set aside as the lining:


My order from Fabric.com also arrived this past week, and now I have a new set of lovelies to add to the planning. Here is the fattest tuxedo cat in the world showing his appreciation of the wool jersey:


Here is the wool jersey, sans housepets:


I think that it will be perfect as the Hot Patterns 1013, the Iconic Shirt dress:

But, I think that I will put off working on this anytime soon since I have no need of a wool dress in the middle of the summer. In fact, I think it will probably wait quite a while, since I need to get a bit more competent with the serger before tackling it.

I also got this GORGEOUS silk charmeuse from Fabric.com, which feels fantastic. It is so light, whatever I make from it will feel like pajamas:


I think that I will make Vogue 1120, a Donna Karan dress with it:


I like this pattern so much, it might jump in the queue for the summer dresses. I also have enough of the silk that I can squeak out a version of the shirt from this suit pattern:


I think that would be great under a black suit. Finally, I got a beautiful ice blue shantung that is such a great color:


I may save it for another attempt with a vintage pattern. In fact, I think it would be great for this wrap dress:


Alternately, I also have this Badgley Mishka suit pattern, which would be perfect for the blue silk:


But where the hell would I ever wear it? Oh well, who cares! It will be FANTASTIC!! It makes me want to sew NOW, but I had to stop earlier today because I was making too many mistakes. Now I'm watching one of my guilty pleasures, Ice Road Truckers! But, I'll have plenty to keep me busy this week. I'm so excited to get started!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My goodness, you have a lot to keep you out of trouble! Glad you're feeling better, and I'm going to take a look at that Chanel Sew Along...

Sue said...

Love all your fabric and pattern choices. The zingy lining for the Chanel jacket will be great!

Kim said...

Pictures...yes, love to see a picture of the completed dress. I love following what you make to give me inspriration! I love your pattern choices. I'm waiting for the next Joann's sale for some Vogues.

Patty said...

I ordered that same 'squigly' charmeuse, it's lucious! I have yet to post on the Chanel blog, since I haven't picked fabric or pattern yet, tho I hope to get to that this week sometime. BTW, Love the shirts!