Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vintage Butterick: The Adventure Continues

I have been struggling through my first vintage pattern, Butterick 2315, a great 60's dress with either a full-skirt option, or a wiggle-skirt:


At a size 18, there was not a lot that needed to be done in terms of grading up the pattern, but much of my fitting struggle had to do with the fact that today's proportions are different than in the 60's. Today, we don't wear girdles on a regular basis, or bullet bras. Styles today have a more rounded silhouette. Also, skirt length preferences have changed. The tea-length that was so common through the 50's and 60's is now something that we see as "frumpy." The changes that I made to the pattern are documented here.

Overall I am very happy with the progress so far:


Please ignore the bad hair, the photo was post-shower, pre-medication. While I have been having to use the cream on the rash, I haven't been working on anything because I don't want it to stain the dress. What still remains to be completed is the hem, the back vent, and adding binding to the neckline and sleeves. If all goes well I will be able to complete it this weekend.

While this has been relatively easy to alter, it was a great place to start to get used to working with vintage patterns. I am excited to get started on another, I am thinking my next effort may be some ice-blue duponi, that I think would be a great choice for this pattern:

2 comments:

gwensews said...

Have fun with those vintage patterns. That's a new sewing experience for many of us.

Linda T said...

Hey, that really looks like a winner to me! You have done a wonderful job and I love the fabric color!

I really like vintage patterns. Since I have a broad back, I really like the fact they so many use shoulder seam darts--that seems to give me just enough extra room so as not to have to alter the back and yet have enough "moving room."